Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

move disk already configured to another controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2002
FR
I have ML 530 and smart 4200.
On this server, i have a RAID 1 and a RAID 5 (4 disks)
I d' like to move this RAID 5 to another server with also have a smart 4200.

Is it ok if i pick the 4 disks and put them in my new server , then using Array configuration utility and declare a new RAID 5.

Thanks

Yes,
You should be able to do this fine. HOWEVER, be very careful.

Place the new 4 drives into the other server. Disconnect ALL drives (Internal and external). Run the System Erase utility to blow away the configuration on the existing 4200 controller (on the server that the 4 drives are moving too.)

Plug in all the drives, then power up the server. If there was, in fact, a GOOD RAID 5 config. on the drives, the card will then pick it up from the disks.

Good Luck. Let me know.

Take the disk out of your ML530, Run System erase, and the run system configuration from your Smartstart CD, without the disk in the new server. Make sure all your cards are in the same slots as the old server and you should have no problems.

Let me know how you do

It should be ok to do that.

Take the disk out of your ML530, Run System erase, and the run system configuration from your Smartstart CD, without the disk in the new server. Make sure all your cards are in the same slots as the old server and you should have no problems.

Let me know how you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back