Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move data from one table and put the data in another

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphtrent

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
US
Hi
I have a table that can get very large very quick. I want to create an "archiving" procedure. The database in on SQL 2000. My origional plan was to bcp the data out and the bcp the data in, but i am getting an error when I do that. It says that 'the file specified can not be found', but that is wronge because if I echo out my command that I am using to the BCP out and run that in a command window, it works, so I am not sure what the error is really saying.

So my alternate way of doing this is to select all the data and put it in to a Data Table and then write the data to a file tabbed delimated. Now I want to get the data in to the archive table on the datasource. I was thinking about writting an insert statemenent for each line in the file, but I will not know which datatype the data is, so I will not know when I need quotes and not need them.

So my question is, if I have a datatable filled with data, is there a way to put that data in another table on the datasource?

Thanks

Why not use a SELECT with your INSERT statement? That way it all happens on the server.

See the example at the bottom of:

Chip H.

Because I already have the table I want to save the data to. With Select Into the table must not exist.

What I have tried since posting this was create two datasets, one with the archived data, and another with the new data to be archived. I merged the new data into the archived data, and then I did a [SqlDataAdapter].Update, but I get an error message
Code:
Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '?'

I think that error is coming from this line
Code:
objDa.InsertCommand = new SqlCommand("INSERT INTO ONYX_SQL_DATA_ARCHIVE VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)",objConn);

I am trying to create a generic insert statement and I found this on the web some where.

Any ideas on how to do something like this?

Dear Ralphtrent,
To have a generic insert statement, in my opinion u'll need to set the table name and values part as variable strings, like:

string tableName="employee"
string valuesPart="1,'John',null,2750.78";

sqlInsert = "insert into "+tableName+" values ("+valuesPart+")";

I wish it helps;

In Oracle, you would do something like this:

insert into new_table
(col_01
,col_02
)
select xcol_01, xcol_02
from old_table

The new_table doesn't have to be empty.

There is even a merge command, which will do an insert or update, as appropriate.

Don't know yet whether those features are available in sql server.

David Wendelken

I had a similar task in my current project and i prefered haved a stored procedure, faster and more reusable in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back