Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move BDC server to new domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

mot98

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
CA
Hi All,

We are closing down one of our facilities, and need to move our File server NT 4.0 BDC to another plant with a different domain.

Currently the 2 plants are connected via VPN and can access each others files. When I move this server, it is going to get an IP address on the new domain.

Has anyone done this before, any ideas on how to proceed?

mot98
[cheers]
"Is it friday yet?"

I don't believe you can move an NT BDC from one domain to another. And you can't demote it to a member server. You will be required to rebuild it as a BDC in the new domain and allow it to sync with the PDC. It was not clear too me if this is two servers or just one running as a file and BDC server. If the file server is a separate member server you can move it to the new domain, but you will have to re-permission the shares and the NTFS file system.

I have been searching the internet for any details on doing this move.

I have found a piece of software that claims you can use it to demote the BDC to a stand alone server and then move it to the other domain, the software is called "UPromote".

Has anyone had experience using this successfully?

mot98
[cheers]
"Is it friday yet?"

Reinstall NT as a BDC in the new Domain. That is the only official solution. There are third party programs that supposivly will demote your BDC to a Member Server and then promote it to a BDC in the new domain... my experiance is using these is only asking for trouble.

A reinstall is not that hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back