Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move Backup Server from UNIX(Solaris) to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammysploge

Technical User
Oct 14, 2004
GB
I am trying to move from a UNIX NetWorker backup server to a Windows based backup server, but still keep the configuration, indexes and media database. I would also like the old server to remain as a client of the new, and therefore a new name assigned to the Windows server.

I have managed to move across the config ok(res), the mm database I imported using the nsrmmdbdasm option.

My issue is that I am unable to carry out an nsrck -L7 as the old indexes were associated to the old backup server name and I have not successfully found away of assigning these to the new server.

I have tried using nsradmin and associating the old server name to the new server name as an alias,renaming the indexes, but it still will not work.

I have also tried changing the client id, but it seems to over ride this.

Any ideas - experience would be much appreciated.

The issue is with the media database which is part of the bootstrap. This will not be possible due to the fact that the bootstrap will always be recovered to the same location.

EMC support might have a way to export/re-import such a database but for a standard use, there is no other way except scanning your media.

The media database is fine - I used the nsrmmdbasm -s to export and -r to import and it works a treat. The issue is the client index and the fact that you are unable to perform nsrck -L7 as it still believes the indexes belong to the original server name.

Sorry for not reading carefully enough. Interesting and well done. I heard about that feature but did not try it myself yet.

The indexes should be tight to a server as they are just tight to a client.

I think that you need to change the server name globally in all resources which is not so easy as NW also might use it as part of the volume names which are also stored in some resources.

I have been testing out the procedure to carry out the move and rename - and it seems the best way for me was to build a new windows server of the same name as the original unix server, copy in the res, and indexes and import(nsrmmdbasm -s to export and -r to import) in mm and then follow EMC's rename procedure. The key thing being that the client ID stays that same throught the whole process. See below for link to EMC procedure.

"How to rename a NetWorker 6.X\7.X NetWorker for Windows server"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back