Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse still has power after shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drusky

Technical User
Feb 28, 2001
AU
I just bought a new Gigabyte ga-7vrx m\board and after installation noticed that the optical mouse I'm using (microsoft intellimouse) still has power after I shutdown the system! I've tried the options in the power management panel and still the mouse glows red at me! Have looked in the bios and can't see any reason the mouse stays powered up. All wake on pme\lan etc. have been disabled! How do I turn the evil red light off??? when not using the comp or isn't it possible?

When you shut down your system, either automatically or using the front panel power button, you are not completely removing power from the motherboard. It's effectively on "standby" - a bit like turning off the TV set by just using the remote control. If you want to eliminate the mouse's red glow, you'll need to switch off the PC at the mains socket, or on the back of the computer if your PSU has an on/off switch.

Doesn't the mouse have a battery in it? "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I also have the Microsoft wireless optical which will[ the pointer is highlighted on the black screen] sometimes stay on after power down , threr is no fix other thin doing what was said eariler shut off the power supply

The mouse does not have a battery in it.

I have the same problem with my optical mouse, but since I rarely, if ever, shut down my machine I've just learned to live with it OR unplug the whole thing from the power outlet.

Thanx for enlightening me everyone, I guess it stayed on when installed on my old board as well I just never noticed it! cheers!

What operating system are you running ,are you using the ubs port or the mouse port? There still may be hope for you.If you are running XP remove green extention on mouse cable and plug into ubs port let windows discover it. There is still more to do however,I do not know about your operating system.

I'm running xp pro, yes I'm using the green mouse port, not the usb connector. what difference will this make? If you have any new ideas 1BULLET, please let me know!

I had one motherboard, think it was a soltek, that had an option to power up the computer from the keyboard. If this was enabled the optical mouse would stay lit up, also from memory, I think the keyboard LEDs stayed on. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Try modifing the BIOS Power settings, turning off monitoring of IRQ 12 / PS/2 mouse. Also try modifing 'Sleep' settings.

I believe the BIOS is keeping power to the mouse under the assumption that it is going to be used as a trigger to reactivate the APM / ACPI system and turn the unit back on, similiar to a 'standby' mode. Do you have a power button on the keyboard for your unit? Does it work - turn the power off and then on when hit? If you do have the power button and it works like that the motherboard / BIOS keeps the keyboard, and keyboard controller, hot with power to monitor the triggers. It may be doing the same thing for the mouse. You'll have to turn it off the in BIOS - maybe even shut down the APM sleep mode completely. In the Power settings most BIOSes have 'Power Button' setting - either On/OFf or Sleep. I suspect you're in Sleep. Try On/Off. Your mileage may vary...

Removing green adapter from mouse and plugging it into ubs port will allow your mouse to shut down,when you power down.Which is the way u know who (manufacturer) intended it for use. As some computers don't have a ubs port, along comes the green plug extention for the mouse port.
If you do not have a ubs port the only other thing I can suggest is going into your cmos settings, this done by
using delete key on start up your cmos will come up. Note your mouse will not work, you will use your arrow keys.
Go to Power Management you will be looking for Keyboard Wake ON set it to Off, and say good bye to red light after power down.

I have the same mouse(intellimouse), and had the same problem when i upgaded my system from asus a7v to asus a7v333, when i took off the the green mouse adapter(as 1bullet said), and used a usb port, cleared up the problem.I think you would have noticed if it would have stayed on, with your old motherboard. plug it into Usb port and it will fix itself. BTW I spent a week trying to adjust the settings on my computer, and figured it was just an a7v333 problem before finally just plugging it into the usb and seeing if it would shut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back