Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse Security 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PcLinuxGuru

Technical User
Nov 17, 2001
US
There was a wave of mouse ball theft where I work. In short I superglued the cover on. Now they just steal the whole mouse. This is a school and the mice are in student labs.

Is there a way to secure the mouse itself to prevent it from getting stolen or a way to see who is stealing them. CCTV installation is a thought but I would like to see if there is something more economical or reasonable. Visit

Kind of hard to secure a mouse... It's amazing what people will steal these days isn't it?

You may want to try a webcam. Most are inexpensive with pretty decent resolution. I have a creative webcam that uses a monitor that starts recording when movement is detected... Small enuf to hide too. ~ The day I think I know it all, i'm changing careers ~

Hehehe yes it is amazing... If they asked me for a mouse to take home for whatever reason I would give them one. I buy them in bulk. Like 100 for $2 a piece. But when they steal one the computer goes down until I discover it (no one likes telling me when equipment is down). Visit

Ah students ;)

I would agree with karmic, your'll never be able to cost-effectively secure the mice since if anyone is determined enough they will succeed. A cheap webcam could be just what you need, as long as its near a point of entry and exit the resolution at a distance wont matter as you can identify them when they leave.

But be sure to check the laws in your area pertaining to hidden cameras and recording. Particularly since this is a school and minors may be involved.

Robert

Thanks.... I will be looking into the webcam idea but for now a colleague of mine suggested hot gluing the connection so they will be unable to unplug it. I think that and possibly a "fake" webcam should deter it somewhat. Visit

One other possibility, though costly, is to place each PC into a lockbox, with all of the cables going through a port in the box before they connect to the PC. The box is designed so that if front panel access is needed, then that can still be done, or it can be shut and locked so that the front panel is not accessable.

But, if they are bound and determined to screw up the system, then they will. By cutting the cables, pouring liquids into the keyboard, etc. If you shut off one way, then they are likely to go after it in a different way.

Robert

I had the same problem as a Network manager at a public HS many years ago. Everything had to be locked up. Here's what we did:

For the mouse itself-
Bolt a small (1" - 1/2" or so) eyebolt to the corner of the desk at each computer station. Get some flat metal washers with a hole just large enough to admit a bight of the mouse cable, but too small to admit the PS2 connector plugged into the computer. Use a small key lock to connect that bight to the eyebolt. You should be able to do this for less than $5 per mouse, and you can secure the keyboard the same way.

For the mouse ball I had to buy a small tap and some recessed hex screws. With these I prepped a threaded hole through the cover into the case and screwed it shut. (Be selective where you drill the hole!) It did not protrude so the muse still moved fine, and I could still open it for cleaning.

They sell plastic cable ties at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. that have a screw hole in them. Zip the tie around the mouse cable, then screw it to the desk. Cost is about $.35 each, and can be unscrewed when you need to replace the mouse.

I assume your school has the usual metal detectors and "resource officers" (police) to prevent a student from bring tools to class. A screwdriver would be considered a weapon by most districts I know of.

Chip H.

Or the easy and cheap way....one large cable tie to go around a desk or table leg, then one small one linked thru the large and holds the mouse cable. Make it loose enough to let the mouse cable slide for use, but yet tight enough to not allow the plug end to slip thru.

Would still be able to maintenance the mouse, still mobile, and if you need to replace the mouse, a simple pair of wire cutters and re-do the cable ties again.

You can usually buy cable ties in bulk fairly cheap.

Good luck from one who had the neutered mouse problem also....

I have an easier solution. There is a software, ( argh I forgot the name.) but when a USB equipment is pluggedd off, the computer speaker starts to siren..
How is that ? :)

Do all that, and just count the minutes until they start stealing the actual mouse balls inside, just to spite you. Unless you want to super glue the thing shut.
[smile] ________________________________________
Check out

How about a plastic wire clamp/clip has room for the wire and a place to screw to the bottom or top of the desk. Cheap way out only a few cents. They need to cut the cord to take the mouse.

I would second the wire tie with mounting lug solution with the mounting lug screwed to the desk.

As for the stealing the ball problem, I think there are now some relatively inexpensive optical mice available.

I've seen touchpads that work inplace of the mouse, yes irritating to use, but it would solve your problem, by bolting them into the desk.

My 0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back