Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mouse problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i have a computer here that has no mouse whether it's usb, serial or ps2. what can be the problem? we made sure the setting for ps2 and usb are enabled in the bios. any suggestions?

if the mouse port is on the mb, make shure that it's not turned off through some kind of jumper. Also make shure that you have drivers for the mouse on your computer. I know that windows usualy supplies them automaticly, but it's the simple things that get you most of the time.

HAVE YOU USED THE ADD NEW HARDWARE IN SETTINGS TO LOCATE THE MOUSE, OR CHECKED SYSTEM IN SETTINGS TO SEE IF DRIVERS ARE LOADED??

--im vegitablegarden at work--

pentium 133mhz
computer has windows ME.

Ok these are the things i did.
tryed using the microsoft usb mouse loaded intellipoint drivers for it. didn't work.

went to add new hardware and tryed to install a serial... then tryed loading a ps2 mouse, computer restarts then has yellow mark on mouse in device manager.

went into bios to ensure ps2,serial,usb are enabled

reloaded Windows ME ---> the mouse was active during the windows install, but not after the install.

any suggestions????

Check out your IRQ Settings and insure that there are no conflicts! Start, settings, control panel, system, Device manager then click on the mouse that has the yellow marker and click on resorces and see if you can change the IRQ setting to one that is available. Don't create more problems by shoosing an IRQ that is being used some something else.

You said:

then tryed loading a ps2 mouse, computer restarts then has yellow mark on mouse in device manager.

What was the conflict? In Dev Mgr, view the Resources Tab via the properties settins, uncheck the automatic settings box, and change the resources. NOTE: the bottom window will explain what devices conflict if you select the wrong setting.

cwpaul

Conrad W. Paul
cwpaul@syd.eastlink.ca
Creative Solutions to Challenging Problems

here is the Device status message we get:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the file (vmouse.vxd) that loads the drivers for the device.

To fix this problem run windows setup again with your Windows CD-ROM.

we already reloaded windows and we had a mouse during the install but once the install was finished we were back to no mouse again.

assuming that is the only file which is corrupt, goto the microsoft website, search for the catalog listings (these are files within the knowledge base that catalog exactly what files are found within what CABS on the windows setup disk. You should be able to find this VXD. Try reinstalling it & see if this helps.

James Goodman
j.goodman00@btinternet.com

2 things...

First off you can use winzip to open and search through the Windows ME Cab files for the missing vmouse driver.

More importantly, if you look in the BIOS and disable the secondary Com port it won't be reserving that IRQ and I betcha that's the problem. I've seen this 2 times before, and disabling that secondary COM port fixed it perfectly both times.

You may want to go the manufacturers web site of the mouse that you bought and download the latest setting or updates for the mouse and then go to add new hardware on your computer and install it. And also go into the control panel and go the mouse icon and make sure that all the information for your mouse setting are their supposed to be. Hopefully this helps. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back