Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse Problem......

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf2x

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2000
US
I feel a bit silly but this one is stumping me so I thought I would get your guys/gals input.

A friend recently purchase a new optical ps2 mouse for her computer. She has an older computer so I had to try to use a converter to change the mouse to serial (the computer doesn't have a ps2 port). It didnt work, but I did try the new mouse in a computer that does have a ps2 port and it worked with no problems.

On the 2nd computer, I tried to hook the optical mouse up to the converter and plug it into the serial port....didn't work. I used a plain old ps2 mouse to connect to the converter and connected that to the serial port and it worked.

So, what I am thinking is that the new, optical mouse isn't convertable.

what do you guys think?

BTW, operating system is Win98.

the first time I tried this was with a USB optical mouse, and it didn't work (USB->PS2->Serial) so I figured that was too many adapters. I've tried with several logitec and microsoft optical mice (some PS2 others USB) and have not yet found one that would work with a serial adapter.

I would say that it is definately the adapter. I always have problems with PS2-Serial mouse converters. If it doesn't work now, I don't think it ever will (unless they make an adapter which actually works LOL )

Ps2 to Serial seeems to work fine with most old ball mice but not with opticals for some reason

I myself never give adapters any credit over possibly working 30% of the time with the older mice.

Now.. If you must have the hook-up.. then get yourself an antique ps2 expansion card. That is if you can find it.

~CaNiX~ Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

Thanks for the replies.

Canix..
I thought I had one but I can't seem to find it. Isn't it great when you have a piece of hardware that you don't want to throw it away because you never know when you'll need it again and when you do need it you can't find it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back