Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse primary and secondary buttons swap upon re-start 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AELLC

Technical User
Mar 27, 2014
US
This is the least problem I am having on this relatively new machine that eludes me. It occurs most of the time when I re-start, and a few times awaken from sleep.

I have tried 2 different mice, both of which do not experience this problem on my 2 other machines.

No sign of malware, according to the Kaspersky AV.

[ul]
[li]Are the mice both by the same manufacturer?[/li]
[li]Did the problem begin after installing a new mouse?[/li]
[li]Do you have any 3rd party mouse button programs, or any programs that modify mouse button mapping (such as x-mouse I think one is called)? If you have any third party programs as such, try removing that to see if the problem persists.[/li]
[/ul]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

1. Both Logitech, different models
2. Months later
3. No - only program I can think of is installation of new Epson all-in-one machine software.

More questions/things to check:
1. Does the computer seem to be struggling any, performance wise? If it's trying to load something at the start, that is hogging resources, maybe that could be it? You mentioned the printer software? Have you tried disabling the Espon apps that start with the PC to test that way?

2. Any hard drive issues? Check the Windows Event log for any disk errors, and you can run a check-disk on any attached drives as well to be sure. Also may be worth using a 3rd party HDD diagnostics program. Generally speaking, you do well with the manufacturer's diagnostics. If you find an all-in-one "fixer" disk like Ultimate Boot CD or Hiren's Boot CD or any others you may find, and they'll often have different tests you can use for you in one place. So if you have more than one drive, and they're made by diff manufacturers, that might help.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

kjv:

1. Computer starts quickly, and runs very fast. I will disable Epson for a while.

2. I will check all of that. Primary drive is SSD, secondary is HDD, diff mfr

Another question... are these: 1. Wireless, 2.USB, 3. PS/2?

If they are wireless, can you try either:
1. A wired mouse or
2. Move your wireless router (if you have one) to a different location, at least slightly, see if that helps.
3. Rearrange your wireless mouse adapter location where connected to PC (if possible)

1. Wireless

I will try all the above, but the problem seems more intermittent now. The mouse has not swapped for 2 days.

The problem is not really a big deal, of course, it is just another one of the annoyances

Yeah, I understand. The reason I said the router thing was b/c when I was using a (lovely Logitech MX 1000) mouse, before it died [cry], I once had some issues w/the location of my router. Took me forever to sort it out. I eventually used a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless adapter closer to my mouse, and the problems went away. However, my most common issue was that it just acted like it wasn't really connected. Didn't do anything as crazy as swapping buttons.

Also, I'm sure you've scanned for viruses/malware at this point. The reason I thought of a mouse control program was that it also sounds like something is programmatically swapping the functions. A script could do that, so a virus/malware scan wouldn't hurt if not already done.

I use Malwarebytes Antimalware as my main tool for malware. I'll occasionally use SuperAntiSpyware, but it seems like it's gotten more sluggish and possibly buggy in the last year or two. It was already having issues with Vista quite a while back. There are other tools mentioned around the forum760 as well if you want to check more into that route.

Sorry - I said MX 1000... it was the MX Revolution... might have also been 1000, I forget.

Go through Control Panel and see if your Mouse buttons have been changed from the Default settings. Additionally, see if its been changed to a LEFT handed settings..

Also, check & replace/recharge the batteries on the mouse. I've had problems if my wireless mouse's batteries get below 50% charge.

Finally, turn your mouse off & on. It might also fix it.

I changed the location of the mouse USB adapter, and it has been OK ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back