Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse only works side to side. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb49747

MIS
Apr 23, 2002
US
I have redhat linux 7.2 installed and it has been working great. All of a sudden my mouse only works side to side and not up and down. Not sure what happened. Did a search here and did find anything of real help, other than the problem might be the pointer section of the XF86Config file. I have posted mine below.

Any help appreciated.

Chris

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Pointer"
Protocol "PS/2"
Device "/dev/mouse"
ZAxisMapping 4 5

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

# Protocol "Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice

# BaudRate 9600
# SampleRate 150

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

# Emulate3Buttons
# Emulate3Timeout 50

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

# ChordMiddle

EndSection

Thought I would also mention I'm using a typical ps2 mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel. I have tried plugging in a different mouse to see if the mouse is bad and same problem.

If it does not work on another PC, then most probably you have run in to a very common problem with non optical mice.

I used to work for the logitech customer service, and the most common problem with the old type of mice, where that. "All of a sudden the mouse only moves (Up/Down or Left/Right)"
It is simply inside the mouse there are a small wheel that gets read by some small diodes.
Multiple things can be wrong, most of the time one of the diodes died. however it could be dust blocking the wheel from turning, or the diodes have by a hit been knocked to far from eachother.

If it is a logitech mouse, and you could still have warranty, then give them a call and they will send a new one to you, (Exchanging it for the old one).

If you are out of warranty, try still give them a call, if that is a no go.
Then try open the mouse, and first clean it, then if it is still not working, then try see wich one moves the mouse in the direction it is not working, (Move the mouse to find out.) then carefully push the 2 small diodes on each side of the mouse, closer to each other. without touching the wheel.
And if still no go, then you got a dead diode, and can just as well trhow away the mouce, since a brand new optical mouse is probably better anyway. :)

Regards.
Brian

Eldaria

That was my 25cent** of opinion.

** Inclusive Intrest, tax on interest, Genral tax, Enviromental tax, Tax, and tax on intrest, tax on fees, tax on tax, and other Various taxes and fees.

Hey Brian, a star for your '101 things you never knew you wanted to know about mouse internals' there!

Thanks,

For all the help. I tried two different mice and they both had the same problem, only worked left to right.

I then pluged them into a windows pc and the same thing happened.

I pluged a third mouse into my linux box and it worked fine.

What are the chances that two mice went bad the exact same way and same time. Slim.

While trying to figure this out, one of the highschool kids that work for me said he had spilled his coke on the two mice sitting on the server desk and was afraid he would get in trouble since no liquids allowed by the server. He took the mice apart cleaned them with water and dried and put back to gether.

Damn kids, had he told me the truth would have saved me some time.

Thanks again everyone.

Chris

LOL!!!

Eldaria

That was my 25cent** of opinion.

** Inclusive Intrest, tax on interest, Genral tax, Enviromental tax, Tax, and tax on intrest, tax on fees, tax on tax, and other Various taxes and fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back