Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mouse not work, blue screen, dump memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs211024

MIS
Aug 14, 2003
CA
Hi folks, here is my problem:

My pc, running win2000 pro, after switching on, come with blue screen, with message like "dump memory...". And when I restart several times, it come with normal win 2000 log in windows, but no mouse. I am sure there is no loose connection or unplugged.

I used keyboard to log in and make all operation now. (It is kind of pain) OS and all programs are working fine. So I think it is not a software issue but hardware side. Using Device Manager, I found that "Other devices" --> "PCI serial port" and "PCI Paraller port" are in yellow quention mark (?).Do I need to reinall driver? and how?

What I need to do next? Can someone help me out of that?

Did you install any new software/hardware recently? If so, I would uninstall them and see if the problem goes away (boot into safe mode and do the uninstall). Also, you can write down the STOP error message on the blue screen and search on microsoft.com/support or google and see if they can point you to finding the problem.

Do you exactly which PCI device it is referring to? If you right click that yellow questionmark and select properties, there's an option to reinstall the driver.

Thanks bilebalar.
No, I did not install either software or hardware. And I tried reinstall the driver, not works.

sounds like a bad memory stick.....

This is the kind of stupid situation where you have to go and check EVERYTHING on your PC.. Open it up and check up on what gregthesupertech said. Reseat the memory, make sure everything is firmly in place and well connected.
Mice don't tend to just stop working. Maybe you should check and make sure your motherboard has all the drivers needed (if you got a cd with your motherboard, check out the drivers, otherwise check on the manufacturer's site), which apparently it doesn't since the ports have that yellow question mark next to them. What you could also do is insert your windows cd, and try to get the win drivers from there, as usually windows recognized the mouse and keyboard automatically.

Best of luck!

Since the mouse does not work, I used another USB mouse and it works. There are still yellow "?" with unknown device in "Device Manager". I disabled them now.

May I draw a conclusion that because something hardware wrong with "PCI serial port" and "PCI Paraller port", HCL is inconsistent, causing "blue screen-->dump memory"?

To gregthesupertech:
At first I also doubt the bad memory stick, but when I disabled the "?" device, everything is fine now.

To rotaman:
I can not get the mother board CD now, and I used the windows CD to try to reinstall the driver, failed. (can not find the driver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back