Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse keeps highlighting in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermotcw

Instructor
Jan 11, 2008
IE
Hi,
When I open Excel my mouse starts operating very stangely, as i move it over the spreadsheet it keeps highlighting the area and I cannot point and click as normal.
I've tried it in another PC and it works fine, I looked at the mouse config and looks ok. Could the problem be with the machine?
It works ok in the other applications

Hi,
I have had one PC on my network (of 25) that does this, and it's with an IBM-branded wireless mouse. In our case, we could not even switch to another application and the user thought her PC was "posessed". It is as if the "left-button" is stuck (which it is not, mechanically). The mouse in question has a scroll-button that you can "click", which, in my case, stops the activity. I have moved this mouse to another PC (which doesn't show the problem) and replaced the mouse on the 'misbehaving' system and the problem went away! Good luck...

Sounds to me like you have a keyboard button stuck. Probably SHIFT.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

I agree with all the above, try subbing a PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo and see if the problems persist. I always keep a wired PS/2 set(plus PS/2 to USB adapter for notebooks) at home & at the office for quick troubleshooting.

Tony

"...an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind" - M.L. King

sounds like shift or ctrl is stuck.. also have a check you havnt got 'sticky keys' activated in control panel

bchizary said:
you havnt got 'sticky keys' activated
That can be a nightmare, even if you turn it off [sad]

Sometimes you can fix the problem (if it is indeed turned off) is by using CTRL+A to select the entire spreadsheet/document etc. and then clicking in the highlighted area. Has certainly worked for me in the past.

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little. - Joe Martin

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

This occasionally happens to me with any application. I can usually stop it by left clicking several times. Sometimes hitting the shift key several times also works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back