Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse has mind of its own! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gussy1

Technical User
Dec 22, 2002
IE
Does anyone know why my cursor will suddenly go to a certain area of the screen at random without me touching the mouse? It's very annoying when the cursor justs "jumps" to a location on its own!

Thanks

Need a little more info Gussy. Does this happen in more than one application? Does the cursor jump to open fields? Are you talking Cursor or Mouse pointer?
Marc

Have a look at the mouse properties via Control Panel and see if you have anything in "Snap to" in Pointer Options.

Specifies whether the mouse pointer snaps to the default button (such as OK or Apply) in dialog boxes. In some programs, Snap To may cause the pointer to automatically move to the center of the dialog box rather than to the default button.

Typing "Mouse Pointer Jumps" in the Help and Support program Search Box (while online) brings up several other reasons.

NO the icons do not move. What happens is basicaaly that as I'm working away, the cursor seems to default to a location on the screen - usually the Start button or the top-left icon in whichever app window is open at the time. It tends to be the Start button which then causes the auto-hide toolbar to raise and the whole thing just anooys me. It never happened before so I'm not sure whether a third party program causes it or if it is simply a Windows default setting. Will check the "Snap to" idea.

Thanks

Do you use a KVM-switch so you can use several boxes with one keyboard, mouse en monitor? It can happen when you switch from one box to another. When you switch, wait for about 5 seconds....

The smart move checkbox was already unchecked but my cursor still occasionly jumps to the 'Start button' or the 'Internet Explorer icon' in the top left of any IE window if one is open. It seems that these are the only two places it likes to jump to.
What else could it be? I have installed many OS's on my system and have installed clean installations of XP Pro numerous times and this is the very first time I have seen this!

May be it's a silly question but "is your mouse wireless ?" And in addition, "does anyone else in your neibourhood have a wireless mouse too ?"
I ask this, because in my office, we add, in the same room 5 logitech wireless mouse with no problem between them. We once recieve new workstations with Ms wireless mouses and couldn't achieve to install more than two of them in the same room without problems of "Hey, Who moved my mouse ???"
Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

Yes it is wireless but I don't know if anyone else has one.

HP had to recall its wireless keyboards and mice as they interfered with compatible devices up to 150 meters away! If its HP branded, check if it is one of the recall ones or if there is someone else with one that is in the recalled group.

Its a Logitech wirelass USB mouse. If say my neighbor recently got one similar, would the movements not be completely random as opposed to the same two locations (bottom-left and top-left of the screen) each 'random' time. I guess I should just ask them?
Something tells me that some program installed may-be a service is trying to do something clever and this is affecting the mouse but I have no clue.

It's driving me mad!

Hi Gus,
From your replies, I'm going to guess that you are in an office with others. Is it possible that something external is causing this? Has anybody in the vicinity got a mobile phone turned on?

If possible, try isolating the machine from outside influences and see if it still occurs.

Ok, I'm clutching at straws but it's all I can think of at the moment!
Marc

Gus,
Don't know if you've seen this extract I found at logitech's support page:

page=support/products/document&CRID=320&contentid=5659&conte
ntid2=4983&showalldocuments=0&countryid=18&languageid=1

Maybe it might help?

Marc

Q: My cursor doesn't move or jerks around the screen; what's wrong?
A: It is likely the mouse/keyboard and receiver may need to be re-synchronized. If you are using our current cordless products, just press the "Connect" button on the receiver then press the connect button on the bottom of the mouse/keyboard. If you are using a Cordless desktop system, you must do this procedure for both the mouse and the keyboard. If you are using any of our older cordless products, then please refer to document Customer Support Document #4549, "Synchronization Procedures for all Logitech Cordless Mice."

Also, any electrical device such as the computer monitor, Zip drives, speakers, etc., can cause interference with Logitech cordless products. Most likely, this will effect tracking of pointing devices or the range. Also, using Logitech cordless devices on a metal desk or a desk with a metal frame can cause problems with pointing device behavior and range. To resolve these types of issues, try moving the receiver at least 8 inches away from other electrical devices. Interference issues can also be resolved by moving the mouse closer to the receiver. You may also want to experiment with different locations and positions for the receiver, including moving the receiver to an upright/vertical position or rotated to a different angle. Another alternate solution is to elevate the receiver by placing it on a CD-ROM case or other item.

You may also notice erratic cursor behavior if you are using an extension cable, a switch box, or a port replicator. Logitech does not support using our mice, trackballs and/or keyboards with these devices. If you are using a switch box, an extension cable, or a port replicator, please remove it and try connecting the pointing device directly to the system

You don't have any IRQ conflict, have you ? Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back