Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse Frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalina4848

Technical User
Oct 21, 2006
CA
Weird problem. Win 98 Ps/2 mouse. Shows that mouse is attached and working. However, the pointer will not move, cannot right or left click either. I tried another mouse that I know works and same thing with that. This PC was in a closet for 3 years and mouse worked prefectly at last use. I did remove tower case and it 'look's as if all is ok there...at least no loose cables or dirt/dust inside. What can I do to fix this?

thx

Start with a reload of the drivers. This is assuming that you still have keyboard access. Or you could use the keyboard to get to the mangler and remove the mouse, then reboot and let it reinstall.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thx Ed but my mistake...it is a serial mouse. I did remove it, added it again and still no go. A spare 'working for sure' mouse had the same results. Maybe it is something with the connection to the motherboard? There are 9 pins on connector and they all look fine. Guess this computer is done now...not worth spending money on it.
thx

At 3 years in a closet I would suspect that the CMOS battery has died and something is glitched in the serial port setups.
You might leave it on during the following experiments. Try getting into setup and load defaults, then reboot. Then kill the mouse again in the mangler and reboot. May bring it back.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back