Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse Freezing and have to reboot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallie32

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
GB
My operating system is Windows 7 and my computer is a Packard Bell iExtreme.
I have been having a problem for the last 3 weeks with my mouse freezing up and unable to escape using Ctrl/Alt/Delete.
I am having to re-boot each time.
I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse and have tried using another keyboard and mouse but it stil happens.
I was advised on another forum to go into the computer and re-seat the memory and any PC or other cards as this has been causting problems in Windows 7.
I done this a few days ago but no success it still happens.
Sometimes it will go all day with only 1 freezeup, other times it happens after a couple of hours.
Would some kind person advise me on the next steps to take?

Thanks
wallie

1. Memory Test MEMTEST86+ from Ultimate Boot CD***

2. Manufacturer's hard disk drive test from same CD. Determine your HDD model first in the BIOS of the computer. Run short test if available to start with.

***Download and burn to CD (half way down the page where it says "Mirror Sites" - NOT at the top of the page)

3. Install and run MalwareByte's anti-malware (allow it to update upon installation - automatically will if you don't uncheck the box). Run full scan - remove anything if found.

Report back. Do them in the order mentioned. Stop at any step and report any failures.

Thanks for the reply but I am not very much up to it on technical matters and do not quite understand the steps you have outlined.
I have downloaded Ultimatebootcd but not sure what my next steps should be.
For instance have I to download anit-malware?

Thanks
jack

The ultimate boot cd is downloaded and burned to a CD, making a bootable CD. Then you put it in the PC and boot from it - you have to set the options in the BIOS to boot from the CD drive first or if there is "Boot Choices" option on startup, press that to get into where you tell it to boot from the CD first.

Both utilities I mentioned are part of the CD when you get into the menus.

The malwarebyte's anti-malware is downloaded (google search mbam-setup.exe - first match) and installed on your PC.

I'm going to say this delicately, but you may need professional help if you aren't up to the job. That's what we do - fix things. I never touch plumbing, for example, I call a plumber.

I agree with Goom, in the three points he made...

1. test RAM
2. test HDD
3. in that you may need professional help...

but I also have a fourth point, in that it may be also related to the graphic card (video card), if it overheats then these exact problems can also occur...

if you still have warranty, then by all means take the machine back to the place of purchase and have them check it out...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Warranty - good point. If not, you're on your own in terms of troubleshooting or deferring to someone else.

Many thanks guys
I managed to struggle though.
Memory and HDD checked out o/k
Anti-Malware found 43 dodgy items which have now been dumped and its now montitoring my PC.
So I am now waiting to see if one of these was causing the mouse problem.

By the way Goom I had a plumbing problem last year and the first plumber I hired was hopeless.

Many thanks.

Regards
jack

Hey - something you said is NOT correct.

"and its now montitoring my PC."

If you're referring to MalwareByte's - it does NOT monitor your computer in the FREE version. It only runs on-demand scans. The paid version - yes it does. So, hopefully you didn't install something else which is actually something bad.

If weird stuff keeps happening, try ComboFix as another malware scanner (google combofix bleeping computer). You probably should Uninstall your anti-virus before running it because it doesn't like to have A/V present when it runs. You also need internet access to run it, so run it in Safe Mode with Networking or Normal mode as opposed to just Safe Mode (no internet).

Sorry forgot to mention, I am using the paid version.
I had noticed the free verson only done a limited scan.
Then when I started to use the full version a message came up
about malware now protecting my computer.
Actually that was on Sunday and I have no more trouble with the mouse since, before it used to happen at least once a day.
So here's hoping.
At present I use Windows 7 anti-virus do you think I should still keep that operating now that I have malware running?

Thanks for your help.
jack

Ok - paid version, very good.

You still need an anti-virus software even with MBAM running. They will not conflict.

However, my question is what anti-virus are you running?? Never heard of "Windows 7 anti-virus" Please clarify what you are using. It almost sounds like one of those fakes.

Actualy its named:
Microsoft Security Essentials

jack

Ok - MSSE. Fine. You should now be all set in terms of malware prevention. Just wait to see if the computer acts up now. Then we'll have to start analyzing again if it happens.

Back again, after running without any problems for 4 days its froze up 3 times today.
It seems to happen when I am browsing on Internet Explorer.
Is there some way I can reninstall IE without loosing my Favorites?
In my present IE setup I have folders on the toolbar containing links to various subjects I am interested in.

jack

What kind of content on the pages when it freezes? Sounds like java or flash trouble.

It could be any kind, last time it froze I was looking at reviews on electric ovens, the previous one happened when I was on a cookery forum.

jack

So, the problem is not likely malware and not memory or hard drive if you tested those as I indicated.

Overheating is still a possibility, but try this first:

Install Firefox or Chrome and run with that EXCLUSIVELY for two weeks. If no problems, my advice would be to stay away from IE, though that would be my advice if you were having NO problems (lockups).

I just don't open IE any more. Firefox all the way. Yeah buddy.

Thanks I will switch to Firefox and give it a go.

I had been thinking of overheating as it seems to happen most after its been on a while.

Thanks again.
jack

The other think you could do is to get the Ultimate Boot CD if you haven't already done so. There is a CPU stress test on it. If you booted up to UBCD, ran the stress test and let it go for a couple of hours or longer, that would likely trigger any thermal lockup IF that was the source of the problem (because the CPU will generate more heat and if the fan can't keep things cool - lock up).

It would also eliminate Windows from the equation and focus only on the hardware. Maybe do this first before FF/Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back