Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse excutes without click on laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinaPhx

MIS
Jul 21, 2002
US
When the mouse "hovers" over a command button (ie "OK")for a period of time, it will execute the command without any mouse clicks. How do I disable this feature?

Thanks in advance,
Gina

Have a look at the Registry settings here.

HKCU\Control Panel\Mouse\MouseSensitivity

This setting controls the sensitivity of your mouse. A higher value means more sensitive, a lower value means less sensitive. XP is usually set around 10 to 14.

Try a different mouse that is not so sensitive, perhaps due to faulty clicking mechanism.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Speech tool was not enable.
HKCU\Control Panel\Mouse\MouseSensitivity is set to 10.

Gina

If you hover over an option, and walk away for ten minutes, is the option selected?

Gina, what kind of mouse is it? A thumb mouse, or a touch pad? In either case, I would double-check your mouse settings to make sure that double-click is required to open an item rather than single click. With a touch pad, for instance, if it's really sensitive, it could be interpreting the slightest touch or change in pressure as a button click.

Bcastner & itfellow:
I wished I read your posts before I gave up and imaged down a laptop image that didn't have the problem.

Thanks for the suggestons.
Gina

I would still flip the laptop upside down, and using a jeweler screwdriver tightten all case screws.

I just encountered the same problem after doing a reformat and full reinstallation of WinXP Pro, on a Gateway notebook. Desktop icons are double-clicked automatically if the cursor hovers over them for more than a second or two. I can't find anything in the touchpad and/or mouse settings that seem to apply to this behavior.<p><p>

It is time consuming and very annoying.<p><p>

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.<p><p>

Thanks,<p><p>

S

I have always had the issue go away by replacing the keyboard. Do you have a trackpoint (little rubber eraser thingy?). This has been the issue for me, and it is a hardware problem. But most certainly re-do all drivers from Gateway for the touchpad as well as the trackpoint.

No button pointer thingy. I'll try unloading and reloading the touchpad software/drivers.<p><p>

My client says it didn't happen before, so I think it's probably software related rather than the keyboard or other hardware.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back