Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse disappears, CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't login

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2002
US
I have a user with a Dell Inspiron 3700 laptop with Windows 2000 (SP2 I believe) installed that is refusing to log in, even under Safe Mode.

It boots up OK, if a little slow, but when it comes to the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin" prompt, the mouse pointer disappears and the three-finger-salute does absolutely nothing.

I've never seen an issue like this before. I've tried bringing it up in Safe Mode and Debugging Mode to no avail. Any assistance would be appreciated.

--- Geoff

Have you tried defragging? Also from safe mode, run from the command prompt: Chkdsk c: /f This will check the file structure and check the disk. Then run defrag (in safe mode). Also check the permissions for the user. If you can't log on, at the command prompt (after a normal reboot) run ipconfig /release /all (assuming you are using DHCP to obtain an IP address). Also from the command prompt, type: ping 127.0.0.1 to ensure your NIC is functioning.

Lastly if the user still can't login, delete the user from the local machine and add him/her back in. Can you log in as Administrator????

I can't log in as Administrator, in fact I cannot log in at all!

Hmm, update on this: getting a battery warning now, tried to hit Enter at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen but can't get it to respond. But I just launched the Win2K CD on bootup hitting a key. Interesting...KB doesn't work in Windows?!

--- Geoff

Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. Is there a way to bypass this during boot up as I am unsure what has caused this. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

If you can boot from the cdrom can you also do a repair on the OS...?

Also, can you use the A/C adaptor to try this, take the laptop off the docking station while you try it...port replicator may be corrupted...

Also, did you try another keyboard and mosue on the laptop conected drectly to the laptop not the docking station, AND finally disconnect the printer if it is connected directly to the laptop

Cheers,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back