Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse click event does not work except in safe mode Vista 64 bit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

taterday

Programmer
Jan 28, 2009
US
From another system downloaded from Microsoft malware. From problem system, in safe mode, ran malware and diagnosis on the system and everything passed. I have Norton Internet security installed.

The Vista screen initialized all the way up and looks great. No errors. The mouse will move all over the screen, pointer mode. Nothing happens - no reaction on the mouse click. The start will not response on the alt+S.

Does anyone have something I can try now?

Thank you.

I guess you could try re-asking your question as it's very hard to follow what you did, on which computer and what the problem is.

The problem system Vista 64 bit.
Seems to have a problem with the startup. I can hold down the shift key when it boots and the system is functional.
I can use the mouse and the keyboard. I can boot into safe mode and have use of the mouse and the keyboard.

The system passes all the diagnosis.

On "normal" boot the system appears to come up. Nothing looks wrong. There are no errors. But the mouse or keyboard will not response. The mouse will allow movement over the screen. The click event does nothing.

I thought there must a virus out there that causes this. I have run the lastest Microsoft Malware. It found nothing.

I hope this better explains the problem.

Yes, thanks for that. It could be malware, but normally the mouse won't move at all when infected. So, you could do a malware scan with the following products and then move on to the next items.
Clean out temp files with CCleaner first, then run - TDSSKiller, MalwareByte's Anti-Malware and RogueKiller

Is the mouse functioning properly in Device Manager?
Next, I would update the video driver if it can be updated. Long shot, but just maybe.

Then, I would try selective startup by using MSCONFIG and turn things off one at a time and rebooting after each one until you figure out what is causing the problem.

You could do the following as final troubleshooting.
1. Run CHKDSK on the windows drive
2. Test memory
3. Test hard drive with manufacturer's tool
4. Update BIOS, reset to defaults and then change things back as you wish.

I have ran all diagnosis and everything passed.

I tried to do a selective startup by holding down the sift key on booting. It came up and allowed me to use the mouse and the keyboard but I did not get to do the selective startup. How do you do that with Vista?

Is the mouse functioning properly in Device Manager? yes, but I can only get into device manager with the safe mode or holding down the shift key when booting.

I used the recovery disks with advanced options. Everything passed as far as hardware. I checked the started up and

root cause found no os files found on disk
repair action ; partition table repair error code ox490

Are there any way around not restoring to the original?

I used the msconfig link.

The problem was that the friend's son had installed a security camera that was ...

I uninstall this software and the system was fine. Thank you for your assistance.

camera that was.................... WHAT? Spying on the neighbors??? The suspense is killing me.

Glad you fingered it out though.

Wouldn't want you die. He doesn't live on the land.

The camera was placed on deer and rabbit hunting land. Acreas and acreas. Where you can enjoy the peaceful sounds of nature. Dogs howling.

Now to explain the security camera. Everytime he would leave anything, go back, it was gone. He wanted to catch the thieves in action. Good plan that didn't work.

Thank you so much. I couldn't have fixed her system without your advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back