Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mouse and keyboard not working after boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designware

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
Hi,

We recently had a simple file sharing server crash with a bad CPU (Compaq ProLinea 740 @ 600 MHz running Windows 2000 Server). We simply purchased another Compaq ProLinea 740 @ 550 MHz, and moved the SCSI drive over to the new server.

Everything looks great during bootup. (I have keyboard usage during the "TEXT" portion of the bootup.) However, once I get to the logon screen, there is no mouse cursor to be found, and the keyboard is not functioning either.

I flashed the BIOS to the latest version, with the same result.

Any ideas? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dale

Try out flashing the bios again .The Updated bios can be obtained from the HP website.(As it may be possible that you mayb not be updating the bios properly).
Also try installing the latest service pack of the os you are installing along with the system patch.
Try using new Drives(HDD) or try out using one drive at a time.
Also can you checkout whether your scsi card or raid controllers are properly configured.

ana,

Thank you for the reply!

The BIOS version that I flashed was downloaded from HP's web site today. I tried loading it again as you suggested. It told me that the version was "not newer than the one currently installed." I told it to go ahead an load anyway. Same result.

I can't really install the latest service pack, since I do not have access to my mouse or keyboard ... or cannot even log into my Win 2K server OS. (Unless there is a way to install the service pack during the boot up process.)

I was hoping not to have to re-install the OS and all the programs that it does run ... thought I'd be able to bring the hard drive over since it was the same server. (by the way, there is only one SCSI hard drive, no RAID, and it appears to recognize the drive just fine.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Dale

Help!

I decided to re-install the Windows 2000 Server OS and start from scratch. I boot from the setup floppies no problem, choose the appropriate format and install selections ... but after it reboots and continues the install from the hard drive ... I have no mouse and keyboard!!!

I cannot even install the OS.

Anyone ... please help!

Dale

did you over install or clean install ?
have you tried booting in safe mode
or even the simplest thing a different keyboard and mouse.

DG659,

Thank you for the response!

I did a clean install ... after formatting the scsi drive.

Yes, I previously tried booting into safe mode ... but did not have the use of a keyboard or mouse once it gets to the logon screen (press CTRL-ALT-DEL to logon). I do have use of the keyboard before that to choose to go into safe mode however.

I have tried about four different mouses (one is a Compaq mouse), I will try some other keyboards too.

Any suggestions stil greatly appreciated!

Dale

Do you have a computer connected via LAN? Try to connect and look at the event-log! I currently have the same problem and I have to get this machine running, so I will stay in contact!

Hi Kornti,

Yes, I do have this server on a LAN (or can be easily), how can I look at the event log if I can't log onto the server?

Thanks.

Dale

from a workstation pc right click my computer icon select manage . once the mmc opens select connect to another computer (the server)

Another way to control the server ( maybe ) is to use terminal services ( or VNC if you have it ). That way, you can go in and reconfigure/troubleshoot/reboot etc.

I'm having a somewhat similar problem, but mine seems to occur after the power save feature turns off the screen.

Kornti,

Have you been able to resolve your issue? I'm still going crazy here!!

DG659,

Thanks for the advice. I was able to connect to the computer, logon with the administrator password, and see the command console. However, when I tried to view the event logs, it told me I do not have permission. I can log onto the server through "My Network Places" and see everything in there that's SHARED.

jsterkel,

I didn't think that Terminal Services was installed on the server, but I tried anyway. It was not ableto connect.

PLEASE, ANYONE ... more ideas please.

Thanks.

Dale

try putting an usb mouse and keyboard or buy a pci card with ps2 ports.

if you did a clean install i wont suggest that you go into the command console, go into winnt/system32/drivers and delete any mouse related drivers.

mvh Nicolai

hmmm
this is begining to sound like an IRQ problem
is there a scsi card or is it onboard? if its a card try moving the pci slot it sits in and the same for any other cards ( modem nic usb) go into the Bios and see if its possible to manually assign IRQ`s also turn of things like COMports LPT and AUDIO if there unused . use irq`s 5 7 9 11 if you can assign to devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back