Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting SCO Unix folder to a folder on a Win98 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregFrench

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
US
Bottom line is that I'd like an application running on the SCO Unix box to create files in a Unix folder (/GregUnix) which is mounted/linked? to a folder on a Win98 box (\GregWin98). I have a VB program running on the Win98 machine that looks for changes in the \GregWin98 folder. I tried pointing the VB program directly at a drive mapped on the Win98 box to the unix folder but it didn't detect changes as they occurred. (It does work if it's pointed directly at a Win98 folder)

This is what I've tried so far...
I added the following line to /etc/hosts (using the correct ip):
192.123.456.789 Win98server Win98server.myloc.com

I then ping'd Win98server and that appeared fine:
11 packets transmitted, 11 packets received, 0% packet loss

On the Win98server I created the folder \GregWin98, shared it as GREGWIN98, full access, no password.

On the unix box I typed:
mkdir /GregUnix
mount -f NFS -o rw,bg,intr Win98server:/GregWin98 /GregUnix

I was given the # prompt and about 30 seconds later I got the message:
# mount: Win98server:/GregWin98 server not responding (1)
: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out
and a minute later:
# mount: giving up on Rtcserver:/rtcstuff

I tried the same command with uppercase GREGWIN98 and got the same results.

FYI: # uname -a
SCO_SV scosysv 3.2 5.0.5 i386

Help! Thanks, GregG

oooops.
That last line should've read:

# mount: giving up on Win98server:/GregWin98

Greg

I don't believe Windows 98 comes with NFS file sharing support. You can either purchase an NFS product for your windows machine, or install samba on the SCO box to access your windows share.

Thanks apeasecpc.

Do you know if Windows 2000 Server has NFS file sharing support and if so, would what I'm trying then work? Is there anything special on either the Unix or Windows side that I need to do?

Greg

Sorry, I don't know if Windows 2000 Server supports NFS. It might. My Windows NT 4.0 Server supports NFS and I am able to mount NT folders on my UNIX server.

To set up NFS, I believe all you need to do on the UNIX box is make sure the system you are mounting is listed in the /etc/hosts file. On the Windows side there will be an install process (my NT server didn't automatically install NFS support I had to add it, but it did come on the NT CD). If memory serves me correctly, you have to activate the NFS service on the Windows machine (every version would do this differently), and you also have to add the UNIX server to what is equivalent to an /etc/hosts file on the Windows box. I think there was also some kind of password or permissions file I had to configure so the NT security would allow the UNIX server to connect without a login password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back