Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting NT volumes from unix and linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2001
US
can anyone explain how i can mount a volume on a win2k machine so it can be seen on a unix or linux machine. i have some syslog files i'd like to pour through using some scripts. short of ftp'ing them over to the unix/linux machine

did you ever figure this one out? I installed samba but it seems to be only a one way stree going in the wrong way...I can share my solaris directories but there doesnt seem to be a mechanism for sharing windows so that the sun can use them. there seems to be a linux samba mechanism for doing it, but not in the solaris samba versions.

anyway, i need to make windows shares available to the unix box...and havnt been able to do it yet..

I think Microsoft sells something that can make Windows shares available to Unix.

smbclient that comes with samba allows unix/linux users to access windows shares, run it in a terminal window. It is not a GUI and uses an interface and commands similar to ftp.

search for smbfs on google or With linux you use:

mount -t smbfs //winserver/directory /mnt_point

I think with solaris should be the same.

Or try this:

from the page:
"SMB to NFS protocol converter: Sharity Light
With this program, written by Christian Starkjohann, you can make SMB shares available to NFS clients who do not have anything like smbfs."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back