Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting network drive (Linux Redhat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

torturedmind

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
PH
hello tipmasters!

we've got some serious problems at hand. how can we map a shared drive from a Linux box to a Win98SE computer. currently, we are using WinSCP in Win98SE as our software for connecting to the Linux server but we want to automate the transfer with the use of our written application that can be scheduled to run at night.

any suggestions will be highly appreciated. peace [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines
"and that's what we call creativity..."

To do that you can install the putty client on your win98 box and use scp or sftp in a dos script scheduled with the windows task scheduler.

I use that for 6 month to upload some logs for analysis with excel. It never crashed.

Easy, you need to set up samba on the Linux machine. I dont know which your Linux distribution is, but probably Samba is available as installable (or already installed) package for this distribution. After installing samba you nedd to configure the smb.conf file (look for /etc/smb.conf or /etc/samba/smb.conf) and define the share you need (lots of examples in the conf file) and then run the samba services (there should be a script installed with the samba package, but again - depends on distribution)
First run
testparm
to see if the config is OK and then run:
nmbd -D &
smbd -D &

You are ready to serve the windows machine

Aaah, sorry. I did not mentioned the " (Linux Redhat)"
That makes things realy easy. So, after installing and configuring samba (and checking the configuration) you need to do this:(run these commands as root user)

chkconfig smb on

That configures the services, so they are started after system restart

service smb start

This starts the services

That's all, You can map your share from the W98 box as usual

thanks to all replies! i'll try your suggestions this weekend and maybe get back to you next week. i just hope all goes well (am just a newbie when it comes to configuring linux). thanks again. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines
"and that's what we call creativity..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back