Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting Hard Drive Sideways 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate252

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
US
I was running a system with 2 hard drives that both layed flat, now i bought a new case that makes you mount them sideways. I was wondering if this would cause damage, or limit the life of the drive, i have searched all over the net and have found different answers, some saying yes, other saying no. Thanks for the help.

Matt

Go to the website of the drive manufacturer and look at the specifications.
Older drives (real older drives) specified that the motor shouldn't be on top in the flat position and across the industry I don't recall the connector down being authorized. Other than those two restrictions, anything flat or 90 degrees was OK. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

i have read that if you mount it sideways this will wear out the motors that spin the disks...is that true? i have to mount the disks sideays in the case i have now and i dont want there life span to be shortened becasue of somthing that could be avoded, thanks

Matt

Not that I've ever seen or experienced. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I have a drive slapped in at 45 degrees......just hanging loose - in addition to the others (I'm a sloppy operator, O.K.?) and no problems so far.. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

thanks ed! now i guess i dont have anything to worry about anything

and a gold star for you!

Matt

hotfusion, depending on the drive type you may be OK. But eventually, if it gets moved you may have problems. Has to do with any lost motion in the pivots and heads where the lost motion leads to tracking problems.
If scandisk starts showing lost sectors, that will be your signal. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

Thanks, Ed, for your input. I see your point. As it happens, the drive is an old one I use for 'experimental' purposes, so I'm looking for errors - just waiting for those bad sectors to appear! (None so far and it is a 1997 one!) My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back