Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mounting extenal usb drive (40GB ) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonsky

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
Anyone can help me? i am currently using fedora core3, and i am trying to mount my external hard usb drive to grab some files. It is formatted as ntfs as i am using it to store data to my winXP. So , iwant to access some of the files now. I tried some tricks ive read.. but i really cannot figure it out. Hope you bear with me and i wanna know how to do this thing? Also, is there any sw for linux to do auto mount of this external drives?

thanks?

If I remember correctly, FC3 doesn't come compiled with ntfs support out of the box. Even if you did have ntfs support, you could only read files as root. You are not allowed to create new files but are allowed to modify files provided the file size doesn't grow out of its current block allocation. I would recommend that you reformat to a fat32 partition if you intend to use this drive between Windows and Linux.

You could create a fixed entry in /etc/fstab to auto mount your external HDD provided your HDD always gets assigned the same handle .e.g /dev/sda1. Gnome in FC4 automatically creates a desktop icon of the device you plug in. You can access the device via this icon. When you have finished, just right click the icon and select eject.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

When you try to mount, what error are you getting? Are you just looking for a possible device name, or are you getting a "wrong fs" error message?

pansophic

actually, once i connect the usb drive. i can immediately see the device from my computer icon at the desktop which mentioned above. if i write click the external device, i have an option to mount, however, if i mount the device( which is the usb device 40GB) it says like " mount: does not support ntfs " somthing like that. Some thread telling me to install gmone-vfs-ntfs... something.. i tried though but cannot bring it up still... asking me some key as well.. any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back