Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting an NFS volume at startup in AIX 4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2002
US
I have a volume being exported from an IRIX 6.5.17 server. The permissions are set to root at the SGI. I can mount and manipulate the volume by mounting it manually. I want it to mount automatically when the AIX machine boots. How can I do this? I have changed options in /etc/filesystems and it doesn't seem to work. Here is my setup:
/dataVolumes/CurrentWork:
dev = "/raid/CurrentWork"
vfs = nfs
nodename = sgi
mount = true
type = scitex_no_auto_mount
options = bg,soft,intr,retry=3,proto=tcp
account = false
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Hi,

When you mount it manually, do you just "mount /dataVolumes/CurrentWork" or do you use a full syntax ?

I use the mount server:/raid/currentwork /dataVolumes/currentwork

According to me, filesystems are mounted before TCP/IP & NFS services are started. That would explain why it can not be mounted on startup, with others. Try to add a mount command in an rc.local script that you call at a run level where they are enabled (your default runlevel, for example).

Filesystems are mounted by /etc/filesystems even if they are nfs filesystems. I can atest to this because we have a few filesystems that are mounted on production servers and the nfs mounts are mounted on reboots. Everything is at work so I cannot tell you right now what is started in what boot phase, but doing it in an rc.local script is not the answer, just a band-aid.

So is there anything in the way I entered it in /etc/filesystems that is causing it not to mount? We have tried type=auto_mount, no_auto_mount . Please advise. Thanks

Every node we have that have nfs mounts have identical options in /etc/filesystems shown below:

/data:
dev = "/data"
vfs = nfs
nodename = Pluto
mount = true
options = bg,hard,intr
account = false

on this system they have an NFS mount from AIX4.2 called dataVolumes. inside of it they have a JFS mount called Brisque10.2. I am trying to mount inside of the NFS mount as another NFS mount, is this possible to do at boot? Also is the JFS mount a local File system? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back