Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting an iomega zip drive - SUSE Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamf

Technical User
Mar 7, 2002
GB
I have recently installed SUSE Linux on a machince at home.

I have tried to mount my iomega zip drive, but keep getting "Unknown device" errors for /dev/sda4 - the mount point specified in the /etc/fstab (I have not edited this file - honest!!)

I have tried through the Gnome desktop, and by mounting the drive by calling the mountpoint & the path to the device...

Any ideas? Adam F
Solaris System Administrator

Search through the 'dmesg' output and make sure that /dev/sda4 is the device assigned to the zip drive.

dmesg | less
...or...
dmesg | grep "/dev/*"

ChrisP

hello

What version of SuSE are you using? i had a similar problem trying to get an iomega 250 USB Zip drive to work properly with SuSE. in the end, i just re0installed SuSE withe the Zip drive connected, and SuSE recognised it (kinda). now it mounts & reads zip disks, but its really slow.

have you tried usbview and YaST ? thet way you should be able to tell if your OS recognises the device. if not, then you may need to search for drivers.

hope that helped [pipe]

It is SUSE 7.

I have not heard of usbview, but the device is resognised in YaST.

That is why I am so puzzled as to why the thing won't mount... I suspect a re-install would do the trick, but it does seem a bit drastic!

Thanks for your input! Adam F

fluid11 - No trace of the zip drive or dev/sda4 in dmesg...

Any other ideas?? Adam F

Actually, I don't know why I didn't catch this earlier, but how could an entire device be labeled as a partition on the device (sda4) itself? It should just be /dev/???, with no additonal partition numbers.

What kind of device is it? USB? Parallel? IDE? SCSI? If its any of these, it has to be enabled in the kernel.

If you think its on /dev/sda, for some reason, try mounting it without the '4'.

ChrisP

Chris - It is USB Adam F

Make sure that USB is compiled into the kernel. I don't use SUSE, so I don't know if it is by default. It is with Red Hat 7 and up. Run an 'lsmod' and see if you have any USB modules running.

ChrisP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back