Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting a CDROM drive remotely 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippymike

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to remotely mount a cdrom drive onto a server without any success. Both machines have a standard version of Solaris 8 installed.
On the machine with the CD drive I have setup a share as follows;

share -F nfs -o ro /cdrom/cdrom0

On the remote machine I have typed the command;

mount -F nfs -o ro <host>:/cdrom/cdrom0 /mnt

I get the following error;

nfs mount: <host>: : RPC: Program not registered
nfs mount: retrying: /mnt

nfs and rpc are running so I'm a bit lost as to what could be causing the problem.....

Thanks

You need to have a valid entry in /etc/dfs/dfstab so that the nfs.server stuff starts correctly on bootup.

Add in an entry (as you are typing on the command line) to /etc/dfs/dfstab, run /etc/init.d/nfs.server start, then type &quot;dfshares&quot; to see if you are sharing correctly.

If you get good output frmo dfshares, then you should be able to remount mount the cdrom share.

PS you can also use &quot;dfshares <servername>&quot; to see what remote servers are sharing.

N.

Hi Naggiman,

I've created the share and typed dfshares but I get the following error;

nfs dfshares:<host>: RPC: Program not registered

I've made sure that rpc and nfs are running by running a grep from the ps -ef output. They return the following;

# ps -ef |grep rpc
root 104 1 0 12:44:20 ? :00 /usr/sbin/rpcbind

# ps -ef |grep nfs
daemon 144 1 0 12:44:21 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/nfs/statd

Can you think of anything else that might contribute to this problem?

Thanks

sounds like nfs.server hasnt started correctly - what is in your dfstab file?

Is nfsd running?

Any messages in /var/adm/messages?

Also, what CD is it? Some cd's such as the solaris install ones, mount up as individual paritions under /cdrom/x and you have to export each one.

N.

Hi,

My dfstab file contains nothing. It's just the standard file that comes with the install. I create the share from the commands line. When I type &quot;share&quot; it looks like this;

- /cdrom/sol_8_202_sparc_2 ro &quot;&quot;

It's the Solaris 8 software 2 of 2 cd and I'm trying to install disksuite.

In /var/adm/messages the following errors are reported every time I try to mount the CD;

May 12 12:50:36 <host> rpcbind: [ID 727407 daemon.error] ticots: address in use

May 12 12:50:36 <host> rpcbind: [ID 929946 daemon.error] could not find loopback transports

May 12 16:43:24 <host> /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd[338]: [ID 986861 daemon.error] couldn't find netconfig entry for provider /dev/tcp6

It does seem like an nfs/rpc daemon problem but the system doesn't complain on startup when these should kick in.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Without a valid entry in dfstab, nfs.server will not start up and will not share any mounts you type in by hand.

Add what you are trying to share into dfstab, run &quot;nfs.server start&quot;, and try the dfshares command again.

N.

Thanks again naggiman!

That's what it was. I didn't realise I had to have an entry in the dfstab for it to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back