Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mount Win2k HD in RH8.1 Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemkepf

Technical User
Oct 8, 2002
US
Hello all,
Well i'm trying to mount a share on my win2k hard drive with RH8.1. Here is the error i'm getting:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //ares/D,
or too many mounted file systems

Here is the command i'm running:

mount -o username=lemkepf,password=********,ip=192.168.0.101 -t smbfs //ares/D /mnt/d

Any thoughts? Here is what i get when i run mount:
/dev/hde3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hde1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

OK, i have a linux guru in here with me, but he's stumped. ANy thoughts? Thanks in advance!

That means you have everything you need to mount shares over SMB. Did you try using [tt]mount -t smbfs -o username=<username> //<IP address>/<share name> /mnt/<directory>[/tt]? Did you try issuing [tt]/etc/init.d/smb restart[/tt]? //Daniel

when executing that first command i get...
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.0.101/aresd,
or too many mounted file systems

and yes, i did restart samba, no difference. I'm going to reboot linux too. If it works afterwards, i'll let you know. Otherwise figure it didn't... :)
Thanks alot guys!
paul

Darnit... No go.
Any other thoughts?
Paul

And you are 100% positive that the IP address and share name are correct? Did you also try using [tt]smbmount[/tt] instead of [tt]mount -t smbfs[/tt]? //Daniel

The command smbmount doesn't exist. And i'm positive it's all correct. I can't mount any hard drive outside of this linux box.
Paul

I am confused because I checked the &quot;man mount&quot; it supports NTFS It supports remote connections using NFS but it doesn't mention combining NTFS and NFS procedures, I tried several combinations it doesn't work but
it also doesn't mention any limitation using remote connection in the NTFS limitations.
I checked the /proc/filesystems where you could see your supported filesystems but it was empty.

And I have noticed that we are not mentioning &quot;unit C&quot; when we are sharing the win2k box I tried mounting with smbfs option I got &quot;mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.0.101/aresd,
or too many mounted file systems&quot; I am using on linux
192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
and on win2k 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 they have static ip address I tried with user, without user, with password, without password.
I have to install my SAMBA program but I think that I successfully do this using smbclient command I will check it tomorrow and I will let you know.

BTW: Do we have to use encrypted password in options with mount?

I forget to mention

When you want to install a filesystem using NFS you should refer to the remote host using &quot;mount -t<fs> -o<options> <name_host/ip_address> without<>:/what_do_you_want_to_share where_are_you_going_to_mount

We could be missing &quot;:&quot;

The command is smbmount

I don not have enought time now but if you have smbmount command available you should try something like

-smbmount &quot;\\\\remotehost\\share_dir&quot; -c 'mount /local_folder -u 500 -g 500'

arios2mx

smbmount returns command not found. SHould i update samba? ANything else i should update?
Paul

This is the most confusing loop-around discussion I've seen in a long time?!?

Forget FAT or NTFS, they're not needed.

If you don't have smbmount (which you should) you should at least use the correct mount command:

mount -t smbfs ipaddress:/path/to/share /mnt/b

If your kernel doesn't support smbfs it will tell you. If you prefer smbmount (which probably is better) go to Samba's webpage and download a full Samba package.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Ok let me see if I have this correct. You have 1 or 2 hard drives in the same computer. One running Win2K and the other running RedHat 8.0. You want to mount the win2K partition in RedHat.

(1) NTFS support is not in the standard RH 8.0 kernel, at least as a module. You will need to make the module. You will need the kernel-source to do this.

(2) You need to know which partition is the win2K. Most likely, if it is on the same hard drive and Win2K was installed first, then it is hda1 (IDE DRIVE) or sda1 (SCSI Hard Drive).

(3) type: mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win2K.

You are not using smbfs, samba, or anything like that. You are trying to locally mount NTFS partition. After ntfs is built the above mount should work. There are problems using NTFS mounts in linux though. I believe it is READ_ONLY. The best solution, if you can, is to create a partition that both Win2K and RedHat can easily understand. That is either Fat16 or Fat32. You can also add another drive and format it fat32 as well. Then you have a dedicated &quot;SHARING&quot; partition so that both can mount.

See if that helps.

clonny2,
Have you read this thread at all? We have made sure already that it is a share on a remote computer. //Daniel

THanks danielhozac, i'm going to reinstall samba during work today... got to love ssh. and i'll try that. Should i use an rpm or compile from source?
ANything else i should try?
Paul

RPM would probably be easiest, as those are setup to work right away. //Daniel

ok, just installing the samba rpm(or the one i got for rh 8 on rpmfind) doesn't install smbmount. what other rpm should i get?
paul

try:

smbmount //host/c /mnt/some-dir -o credentials=/etc/samba/smb.cred

in the smb.cred specify:
username=user
password=pass

if you are still having touble, make sure you have the NTFS module loaded, and that your kernel supports it. i believe you need this either if your mounting a local ntfs partition, or if you are mounting a remote ntfs partition.

here is the line i put in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.o

if that doesn't work, and you are still trying to mount over the network, make sure you have plain text passwords enabled on both computers, or encrypted passwords on both computers.

lemkepf,
Download any packages starting with samba-. That should get you all the files you need. //Daniel

CHUCK CHING!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just reinstalled Samba, not the 2.5mb one from rpmfind, but the 12.5mb one off the samba website. Wokrs like a charm! Thanks alot guys! You really know how to help a guy out.
Thanks again! If you ever need a favor, you know who to call.
Thanks!
lemkepf

shucks - I was taking bets that this thread would hit 40 posts. Glad to hear you fixed the problem though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back