Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mount Win2k HD in RH8.1 Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemkepf

Technical User
Oct 8, 2002
US
Hello all,
Well i'm trying to mount a share on my win2k hard drive with RH8.1. Here is the error i'm getting:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //ares/D,
or too many mounted file systems

Here is the command i'm running:

mount -o username=lemkepf,password=********,ip=192.168.0.101 -t smbfs //ares/D /mnt/d

Any thoughts? Here is what i get when i run mount:
/dev/hde3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hde1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

OK, i have a linux guru in here with me, but he's stumped. ANy thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hmmm... No 8.1.... HEHE! i guess it's 8.0... :)

hi!

Have you tried?:

mount -o username=lemkepf,password=********,ip=192.168.0.101 -t ntfs //ares/D /mnt/d

You should have already created /mnt/d

arios2@prodigy.net.mx
arios2mx

Is the hard drive in the same computer as RedHat is running on? //Daniel

This command:
mount -o username=lemkepf,password=********,ip=192.168.0.101 -t ntfs //ares/D /mnt/d
responds with:
mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel

Also, the hard drive is over the local network. And yes, the drive is share correctly, it works on an identical redhat system.
Thanks so far! ANy other ideas?
Paul

Hi again!

I am confused !

I am in computer A with Redhat 8 also I have computer b win win2k installed, I have a network configured with 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0

What I want? I want to connect from red hat to win2k using the mount command to a shared folder inside computer b

So I must mount it in a previously created dir /mount/d in my red hat box using

mount -t ntfs(because this is the default fs created by win2k)/remote_computer/subdirectory/share /mount/d

Is this correct?

arios2mx

So I think that computer A with redhat doesn't have NTFS support installed on the kernel!

That what I think!

arios2mx

Uhm.... You hit it right on the head of what i want to do, but... talking to many of my linux folk over here, they say that NTFS support is default by the rh install. It's available in the kernel 2.40.20. But if by any chance... i didn't install the ntfs support for the kernel... how would i find out?

My understanding is that if you are trying to mount a windows share that it is of type smbfs. I have a redhat 8.0 machine and i can mount the harddrive in question over the local area connection with the following command:

mount -o username=username,password=password,ip=ip -t smbfs //path/to/share /mnt/d

Both redhat machines are of default installs, so my conclusion is that something is corrupted or wrong with some settings on "computer a" which is in question.

It's me again!

I am not changed my kernel version because I used the default installed in my distro but I don't remember exactly but when I tried to upgrade my kernel version some time ago it disabled a lot of things on my kernel even when I used the option "load previous version (I don't remember exactly the command)" but Because you mentioned kernel 2.4.20 I thing that you manually installed a new kernel version and probably it disables or you didn't installed the ntfs support, but you maybe could load it like a module I think you could check it using the lsmod to see what modules are installed!

Regards

here is what i get when i ran lsmod....

Module Size Used by Not tainted
smbfs 39264 0 (autoclean)
no NTFS.
Good thought though.
Maybe it could be my kernel... because i just checked it's actually:

Linux version 2.4.18-14

but then why would my roomates computer, exact install, be able to mount the Win2k hard drive with ease?
Paul

I think you should not use smbfs because:
"An smbfs file system behaves similary to any other NFS-style file system, with one notable exception: smbfs does not currently include support for the maintenance of owner or group privileges on the remote file system. In practice, what this means is that a Linux system utilizing smbfs would be able to mount a share within its local file system from a SMB/CIFS server"

-SAMBA BLACK BOOK Coriolis p257

I'm still stumped. So what do you think i should do?
Paul

Have you tried:
mount -o username=username,password=password,ip=ip -t fat //path/to/share /mnt/d

mount: fs type fat not supported by kernel
paul

So:

At this moment I don't have a win2k os running but I tested the same on another computer it showed the same message but I tried with Ntfs option an it marked a "NTFS driver 1.1.22 .... Does your computer shows the same?
Just after I pressed enter

Grr.. tried to mount another linux hard drive in a different computer, tried to mount a different hard drive in a different win2k box... NOTHING!!!! Same error:
mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel

Ok, how do i reinstall the "Mount" program? Any thoughts?
Paul

arios2mx,
It's a remote computer, not a local hard drive, hence the file system is not FAT nor NTFS, it's SMBFS, a file system mounted using a protocol called SMB.

lemkepf,
Have you tried removing the IP address from the options? Are the computers on the same subnet? //Daniel

There on the same subnet, i did try just using this...
mount //ares/aresd/ /mnt/d
technically this should work right? (doesn't it search through the list of them to find one that works?
Well yea, ran that, and i got the same error:
mount: fs type smb not supported by kernel

Any other thoughts you linux gods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back