Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mount point for ntfs(winxp) partition lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
I'm not sure if I'm not asking the right question or what. I can't seem to boot windows for some reason. How it all started was I got to messing around w/ the partitions w/ disk druid (some partition proggie that redhat made.) and now the partition doesnt have a drive letter. I am still able to see the partition w/ fdisk, disk druid, and bootitNG. I have a boatload of mp3's that i've been collecting for a few years on a dial up connection and do not wish to spend countless hours trying to find them all again.

Is there anything I can do? or is everything lost?

- Rusty - Rusty

See if anything here helps you out.

HOW TO: Create and Use NTFS Mounted Drives in Windows XP

HOW TO: Mount a Volume at an NTFS Folder in Windows .NET Server

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q291980
A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

Click on Tutorial then the Charlie White article on XP crash.
This is a laymans version of Q307545 in simple language.

You could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.
How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

'I got to messing around w/ the partitions w/ disk druid' is a bit vague. Do you know what you did? Have you actually repartitioned the XP partition? Was it NTFS or FAT32?
may be helpful if you've accidentally created a new partition over the XP one, but haven't formatted it/written to it.

I didnt touch my partition. I didnt make any changes to it. But then again something is wrong. I only added partitions for linux which ended up not installing right or something anyways. Rather pissed me off.

I haven't formatted the partition.

Needing to get back to my computer. This one is a tad bit toooooooo slow.

TIA

- Rusty - Rusty

Just wanted to say thank-you to all of you who have posted (with the exception of myself.)
I got the cd from a friend and re-installed xp and it detected the partition just fine, as well as fixed everything. Now I have all my music, all my files, everything.

Thanks again!

p.s. thanks linney for those helpful links. It was comforting to see that other people had similar problems.
thanks to you too wolluf

- Rusty - Rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back