Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

Status
Not open for further replies.

snookmz

Programmer
Apr 17, 2001
AU
DANG!!

hey everyone, i keep getting this error when i try and mount my CD-rom in Redhat linux 7.2

"mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device"

i know my CDROM is working because i used it for the install, and i had it working in redhat 7.1

any idea's as to whats going wrong, and how i can get it working???

thanks in advance :) /-------------------------------------
| I always have been, and
| always will be, a newbie :)
\-------------------------------------

did you enter in a directory to store the cd rom files?

You may have already done this, but try it anyway...

"mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom"

hope that helps...

- Rusty - Rusty

i think /dev/cdrom is just a symbolic link to /mnt/cdrom, but regardless i tried what you said and i still go the error 'mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device"

thanks for your thoughts though :)
/-------------------------------------

Hi,

/dev/cdrom is always a symbolic link to the underlying 'real' device. If it were a atapi ide CD/DVD without scsi emulation then it would be /dev/hdb if you only had one hard drive or /dev/hdc , or even /dev/hdd otherwise .

If you had a scsi CD or were using scsi emulation the the device would be /dev/scd0 .

Try to look for info messages in the start-up log :

dmesg | grep hd

You can also look in /etc/fstab to see if there is an entry pointing to the real device :

cat /etc/fstab | grep cdrom

(If there is an entry there you can probably get away with doing 'mount /mnt/cdrom')

Once you have found the 'real' device you can create the symbolic link manually as root :

cd /dev
ln -s hdc cdrom (if real device was /dev/hdc)

You may also need to edit /etc/fstab if you want to do 'mount /dev/cdrom' rather than the full syntax such as

mount /dev/cdrom -t auto -o ro /mnt/cdrom

Hope this helps

I had this same problem with my RH 7.2 I solved it by having a data, not an audio cd in the drive when I mount the drive. After the first time it didn't seem to matter what type disc was in the drive.

thanks all for your help

i tried to mount the CDROM from both hdc and hdb to no avail.. I read somewhere on the website that its actually a fairly common problem, and its a fault with the kernal that i have.. Now it doesn't happen on all configurations, but it does seem to happen alot.. I have the same 7.2 Redhat on my home machine and iv had no problems with the CDROM at all.. having said that, because it was a work machine that was giving me all this grief i had to just go back to 7.1 which is more 'stable' as i just need to get back to work..

Thanks everyone for your help though, i really appreciate it..

thanks again

heath /-------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back