Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mount cdrom on netware 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

asredanesh

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2010
US
hello! i install netware 5.1 on VMware and want to install an agent on netware from cdrom,but i can not found the cdrom or mount it.please help me for solving this problem.

Usually you have to access a cdrom through DOS to install a driver on the c:\netware partition, if that's what you're asking. I'm not a VMware guru, so maybe someone with VMware experience knows a better way. Also, from the console of the Netware 5.1 server, you could do a "mount cdrom" and have it read the CD that way. You'd have to then use nwconfig to load the driver or agent.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Yeah - the above is what you would do in a non-VMware environment. I just don't know whether it is affected by that virtual environment. But give that a try first.

thank you for your helps.but i want to know novell commands for mounting cdrom.i am an amature novell user and don't know such commands.

Did you try typing "mount cdrom" without the quotes at the novell console prompt??

On my server, mount cdrom will do it.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Common problem I see when people can't install the VMWare tools onto a virtual machine is they made the wonderful choice to remove the virtual CDROM from the virtual machine setup since it is "mostly" un needed.

To use the VMWare client to initiate an install of the tools, a virtual CDROM must exist in the virtual machine configuration.

Then, if memory serves me right cause I haven't used 5.1 for some time, the cd will auto mount. When you type in "volumes" you should see a "vmwtools" volume. Then type "vmwtools:setup" to install the tools.

And don't let this slide away from you. NetWare run like junk in VMWare (or any virtual environment for that matter). This is because NetWare runs the CPU at full speed all the time, it does not idle the CPU like Windows and Linux does. NetWare will eat up your physical CPU in virtualization with out something to limit it. (and is why VMWare only lets you add a single CPU to a Netware server VM profile). You can use resource reservations to do this, but still better to get the VMWtools installed on the VM.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple[/color red] Novell Platinum Partner Microsoft Gold Partner
VMWare Enterprise Partner Citrix Gold Partner

On NetWare 5.1 you still need to LOAD CDROM (If not loaded), plus what Brent said. I agree, NetWare sucks on VMWARE, I won't do it unless I'm trying to run a NetWare box because I need a Legacy app to work but that's all I'm doing with it. Everything else gets migrated to Linux and/or OES2

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

thanks for your helps.i want to mount cdrom and see contents of it and install an agent on novell.now how i can see content of cdrom after mount it?
sorry if my questions seem spoony.

Hi asredanesh,

If you connect to the server using a windows client with the Novell client installed you can browse the content of the CDROM

or

us the edit utility to browse the cd - "load edit" then hit the insert key to browse mounted volumes.

or

Use the X windows interface - type "startx", from there you can find the GUI install interface.

Depends on the product you are trying to install as to the next steps to take.

Regards

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back