Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mount an unbootable NTFS drive? !!HELP!! Tough one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullHalseyUSN

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
US
Greetings Experts,

I have an NTFS drive that does not boot into Windows. It's a physical error that has been dealt with by getting a new drive. However, there are one or two VERY VERY IMPORTANT pieces of data on there that I need to get off.

Cannot reinstall Windows, as there is not enough space to do that without reformatting. Tried using recovery console to replace NTLDR (the message I get when booting to this drive is Cannot load NTLDR) and config.sys. Had no effect.

Tried Active@'s NTFS Reader which gets a "Sector 0 invalid" error and doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I know there is readable data on there as, with the same set of circumstances but enough space to install Windows. I get back into Windows and saw all my files (again cannot reinstall Windows without format as the disk is all but full) and because Windows shows there is data on there.

It is a laptop, so I wouldn't be able to set this drive up as a slave or something exotic like that.

I guess I'd either need to:

1) Make space, reinstall Windows.
2) or just read the NTFS volume from DOS.

I am grateful for any guidance on this matter!

BH

There is a typo above. I meant to say that, under the same set of circumstances, I reinstalled Windows and got in just fine. Now I cannot as there is not enough space.

Options:

1. You can easily find at a good local store, or though the internet, and adapter that would allow the hard disk to be used on any desktop machine.

Mount the drive as a slave, and remember to take ownership of the folders in its new setting:
2. If you have the possibility of network access:
Ultimate Boot CD
Knoopix
Use the PE environment

Bcast,

Thank you for your post.

So, if I understand your suggestion, 2, and what I've read so far, you're suggesting creating a bootable cd that should be able to mount the NTFS volume? Sorry to parade my ignorance but my head is spinning a little after reading up on Knoopix and ultimate Boot Cd.

I guess that makes good sense. Please confirm.

Thanks again.

BH

Hi,

The Ultimate Boot CD = no joy. Had the same tool that has already failed for me: Active@ NTFS Reader.

So have you tried knoppix (just download, burn & boot)? Or bcastner's other suggestion - adapter to allow drive to be connected to desktop (cost about ?5 here in UK).

Downloading knoppix as we speak.

I don't know that the adapter is necessarily a better option than the software route, but I will turn that way next.

Thanks. BH

I suspect it will in the end be the better option. If you truely have a hard error on the drive you will need to use recovery software, and having the ability to access multiple drives and devices on a desktop will simplify things.

I hadn't thought of it that way. Good observation.

OT: Bcast - just read your FAQ on OEM vs Retail Windows. Good stuff. I want to paste that to a few customers' foreheads! :)

That looks like the adapter we were discussing.

Glad you liked the FAQ. (You of course did take the time to rate it highly I assume).
Bill

I am not positive but I think you will need to use the adapter in an NTFS compatible desktop system (2K or XP) I have one of those adapters and also one that is a pcmcia card to connect a laptop drive into a pcmcia slot in another laptop, that is how I got XP on a laptop without a cd rom. They both work great.

Once you get it connected, I have a recommendation for the recovery software:

R-Studio from
There is a demo version that will allow you to verify that the file can be recovered. If the file is over 64K then you will need to purchase. It is very reasonably priced.

Bill- Thanks. I did rate it a 10.

Harv- the pc-card does sound like a good idea.

Burt- I am going to take a look.

All - I got the drive mounted using Knoppix but it returned gibberish. Said the drive was 92GB, for one thing. I tested booting Knoppix with my identical, uninjured new hard-drive and it read the NTFS volume just fine.

Is there any Linux-based recovery software that might fit on a floppy and be usable with Knoppix?

Thanks.

I'm sure it's bad form to bump, but I was curious if anyone had had any thoughts as to a floppy-loadable Linux-based recovery application?

Apologies and thanks!

The USB adapters for note book drives are around $20.00 and if you are going to replace the bad drive with a new one you could just plug the old one in USB drive adapter after the new drive is up and runing and drag and drop the info over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back