Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motorola SM56 PCI Internal modem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2007
IL
HI GUYS!
I recently upgraded my os to xp and my modem is not functioning. i tried all the links on this forum but i can't open it and the connection speed is too slow where i live if some body already has down load it plz help!
thx!

Hi Guys Like Rozy and many mores;
I read your problem.I am also finding the SM56 Driver for WIN-XP.Beleive me, try installing Motorola Sm56 modem driver for win2K, it works very fine and very fast.If anyone still have any Ques. write me to "rkpankaj@hotmail.com".Thank you.

I recently tried installing Win2k prof on my system, both failed abysmally to get my motorola sm56 modem to work or whenever i try to install Motorola Sm56 modem driver for win2K ,the system resets itself, in don't have de same problem in Win98.
If you have any solutions, please help me !!!
Thank you for all and best regards!

Jean Ferdinand
Argentina

For those who are stuck with a motorola SM56 modem, motorola has discontinued the modem business and modems are produced no more. So i suggest Windows XP users to go to the page

and download Win2000 drivers and install it after a clean install of Win XP on your machine. It may not work if you had UPGRADED from older versions of Windows.
If it works, do drop a word to me at chandru@swissinfo.org.
Good luck!!

Unfortunately, you can try everything with a SM56 without great success.

In a conclusion:
1) If you are with XP, take the Win 2000 version, it's the better.
2) You can look for an Motorola V.34 init string. I work for an ISP and some people can stay two or three times longer on Internet before they'll lost the connection. (But you must accept the sacrifice to lost 1 or 2 kB/sec.)
3) You can try to "ping" continuously but lightly a fixed server because the SM56.
4) If you have a long phone cable, you can isolate it or reduce it to less than 3 meters.

The best solution, it's to buy an other BRANDED modem, like a 3Com, or to buy an old but very stable 33,600 bps modem.

I had win 98 but then i upgraded to XP professional and my stupid motorola sm56 internal moden thing stopped working!!! my scanner and webcam also stopped working but I need a new XP driver to update the other drivers!!!

Hi. I have Motorola SM56 PCI Modem. I have Windows XP and I have drivers. They are not digitally signed but it works. My question is this:

Has anyone tried to fax using this modem? Sometimes it works and sometimes it does. When it does not work, it shows SENDING PAGE ONE, then it disconects and says FAX FAILED. But when I send the same fax to the same place using a different computer, it goes through well. I was told that the modem may not be compatible with the recepient's fax. Is that true? If it is, is it possible to fix it?
Thanks.

im having the same problem. the thing is, motorola no longer makes modems. and visiting their site to follow links is painful. some here have said that a win2k driver doesnt work if winxp is not clean installed. im still looking for help.

I gave up and went out and bought a new XP compatible modem.
I think Motorola should be blacklisted as should any major manufacturer who fails to support the products they've sold in the recent past(i.e.5-6 years.) Discontinuing a product line, as Motorola did, is no excuse to leave your customers "swimming" without help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back