Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motorola Modem install = XP crash.. help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q2Q

Programmer
Jul 29, 2004
US
Ok.. I've read the forums, i've trieed every bit of advice posted on this site to date... (maybe i missed something though)

When i install drivers for my SM56 internal fax modem it goes all nice and happy, copies the drivers into the associated windows dirs... and then the computer crashes.. I get back into windows and then it has to do a disk check.. ussually theres like 50mb worth of damaged files.. this is on XP proffesional..

Any ideas what might be going on? (i've checked for hardware conflicts and the modem worked fine under windows 98se)

Please download the Windows 2000 driver for use with new, clean installs of Windows XP. Note that the Windows 2000 driver will NOT function properly with upgrades from another OS to Windows XP. Also, once loaded in Windows XP, the SM56 driver cannot be further updated.

That means that you must A:\>format c:/s

There is a problem, sometimes after you have already installed some programs, you can not get the motorolla drivers ot install. It copies the files and then when it goes to start the driver it errors and restarts the machine. You have ot do a fresh install of XP to try reinstalling the modem drivers again to get it to work.

some one else said The WinXP driver Dell is providing for the Motorola SM56 also works, but I havent gotten it working. Since they are Broadcom 56k Softmodem drivers not motorolla. But dell says it works.

Another correction...

One change was I used winxp as the directory name which worked. Using Windows caused the driver to crash. Since the first time I also used winxp and got the driver to install without any problems, I am wondering if that had anything to do with it.

There is a problem, sometimes after you have already installed some programs, you can not get the motorolla drivers to install. It copies the files and then when it goes to start the driver it errors and restarts the machine. You have to do a fresh install of XP to try reinstalling the modem drivers again to get it to work. I had it installed twice before and then the third time it started doing the reset routine and had to reinstall xp again.

some one else said The WinXP driver Dell is providing for the Motorola SM56 also works, but I havent gotten it working. Since they are Broadcom 56k Softmodem drivers not motorolla. But dell says it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back