Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard will not except 2nd dimm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffpta

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
US
I have an Alton MXPV133 motherboard that will not recognize the second dimm bank. The first bank works with whatever memory I put in it but when I add a second stick it will not even boot. I know the memory sticks are OK, I have tried different combinations: 256 & 256, 256 & 128,
128 & 256, 128 & 128. It seems as if bank 2 is bad, but it worked a few days ago. This is a new system I'm putting together.

The first thing you will want to check are the motherboard memory sockets. These sockets are made up of small, springy pins which contact the memory DIMM's pads. If you are a little too forceful while installing a DIMM you can bend one, or several, out of place enough that it will not make proper contact.

You may also want to try clearing the CMOS, in case a BIOS setting is made such that it is interfering with detection of the new DIMM's electrical specs (usually automatic).

What happens when you put only 1 DIMM in, in the second slot? Your mileage may vary...

Putting the dimm in slot 2 does not work. The computer will not boot (no beep codes), nothing. Today, I put in a 512, it will boot but XP locks up?

Actually, with 512 in windows xp starts, then restarts, then restarts, ect.

Try enter to BIOS settings and check the memory timings mode. Be sure that the "SDRAM Configuration" parameter set to "By SPD" value.

After this boot your system into DOS mode and check the memory to encounter bad memory module or DRAM controller onboard errors if any.

Hi all I could be totally of course here, but...erm...from memory,isnt the PV133 a socket 7 MotherB - the 133 representing just the model number and not the ram bus speed? I seem to remember building a PC for a friend a few years back with an AMD k7/ 500 and this was the model.
I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) that these boards will not accept a more than 256Mb ram.

???????

CYA

PAUL (Dorothy Dix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back