Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard to Floppy connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktlap

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2000
US
Upon boot up I receive a disk error message and my  floppy drive is not being recognized.  I have a AOPEN AP5VM Pentium motherboard that is missing 1 pin where the floppy drive connects to it. Will this cause that error.  Do I need my motherboard replaced?  Thank you.

if its missing a pin, thats definitly a problem sense all the pins are required to do data transfers, may I ask how it ended up missing a pin? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Well, I'm not sure.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am a recent graduate and the position I hold came with 10 old systems that needed repairs (more like correcting), but it looks as if it was physically pulled out, also some of the pins are too close together-like the connector was forced in.&nbsp;&nbsp;Big help, huh?<br><br>Kimberly

well if you dont feel like buying a new motherboard, you could try to find an older I/O Controler card that has a floppy interface on that, and pop it into your ISA or PCI slot. and use the card for the Floppy, if your harddrive IDE pins are fine. I have an old one I dont even use. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Pins can be straightened with needle nose pliers. Missing pin can probably be replaced by somebody good with a soldering iron. Not sure what pin 1 does, but suspect that it is important. will dig the manual out and give a definitive answer. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

Thank you both.&nbsp;&nbsp;Unfortunately, I have been to AOpen's website to try and locate the manual - to no avail.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't think I want to try my soldering skills at this point.&nbsp;&nbsp;Any further information would be very much appreciated.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Kimberly

Can you get to&nbsp;&nbsp;the bios settings?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, can you deactivate the on board fdd controller? Most Pent m/bs let you do that. <br>Karl suggested a expansion card floppy.&nbsp;&nbsp;They come cheap. If you can't find a fdd standalone then go for an IDEIO card and cripple everything but the fdd. May require some searching, but they are available. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

or I could just ship you mine, if yer willing to pay the shipping. (it's 1 IDE, 1 Floppy, 1 Parallel, 2 Serial, and 1 Game Port) all can be disabled, and the pin table is on the card to show you how to disable or enable, or change address of each port. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

There are some floppy drives that that are missing the second pin from the left on the bottom row.  This comes standard for many of the popular types of drives.  The pin is not used therefore they do not include it.  If this is the pin you are refering to as missing then your problem is not in the pins.  Try borrowing a friend's drive (it's not that hard to remove and replace drives).  If a drive that you know works does not work on your machine, then you know it's not the drive, it could either be the floppy cable or the floppy controller on the board.  Before you attempt to buy a new motherboard or even start to warm up the soldering iron, try these troubleshooting ideas.  Trust me.  I work as a computer technician and we deal with these problems everyday.  If you have anymore questions or problems, feel free to ask!

as she/he explained to me, the pins were snaped off, and some of them were pushed together(which could be undone, except unless you want to solder, you cant put the old pin back on)&nbsp;&nbsp;As Soon as I figure these shipping charges, going to see if she/he has any sucess with the Addin I/O card I'm giving her/him (from email I assume &quot;her&quot; but from the post, I dont know). <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Hello,<br><br>Actually, I have tried replacing the drive, it still doesn't work.&nbsp;&nbsp;And, fyi the pin that is missing is on the top, third from the left-but thank you for the information on the standard missing pin scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back