Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard Recomendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshirley001

Technical User
Mar 2, 2003
US
I have decided to start shopping for components to put together a new system (so i can kick the crap out of this one everytime i walk by it).

This will be used primarily for video authoring so its gonna need to be a workhorse.

Ive decided on the Intel P4 2.8GHz 533 FSB processor. Can someone with experience with different MB's recommend one?

Dont need (nor want) onboard video but 5 channel (5.1) audio would be nice unless an add-on sound card would be better as I'm planning to get a set of those Klipsh 5.1 speaker systems, If Im gonna drop that kind of cash on speakers i sure dont want to degrade anything by skimping on the audio output.

If you're looking for a workhorse, I'm not sure on the motherboard, but I'd go with the P4 3.0. It's new, so it's expensive but it also uses hyperthreading technology. This is a big step in multitasking. Also, I'd recommend DDR RAM since it will support the increased FSB, SDRAM only supports somewhere around 400 Mhz. royhouser
[hourglass]
If you think it's impossible...somebody else will set out to prove you wrong.

Yeah, Im considering that but like you said it's expensive, $200 more than the 2.8GHz, Would the 3.0GHz really be that much of a noticable improvement in performance?

Okay so now im looking for a recommendation for a board to support the 2.8 and one for the 3.0

AGP video a must.

Asus P4PE Deluxe. Stability of the chipset, onboard Dolby 5.1, firewire, and a few other goodies, including gbit lan, but no video.
Add a gig of DDR2700 and your choice of video cards, and it will definitely be a workhorse. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

hmmm. I cant seem to find anyone that carries that Asus board. Where can I find one?

Intel chip, intel chipset! now I might be old fashioned but I have always felt that rule applies for P4 and better stability.
Not the fastest but the intel 845PE chipset would be my choice for all round performance and stability.
Your choice of a Via chipset with a P4 I don't know about.
The new Granite Bay 7205 is expensive and intended for workstation not desktop but could suit your application.
The SIS648 is something of a revelation, fast, feature packed and very good value.
Read a few tests:

Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanks, that makes sense (about the chipset), I just dont know anything about that kinda stuff and is why I am asking for advice.

After reading that evaluation and someone else already suggesting it, that Asus P4PE is looking pretty good and it has the chipseet you like. Although a bit pricey Id imagine. Having trouble locating one though.

I have an ASUS P4PE with a 2.8Ghz Proc - No problems so far!

Marinus Mellaart Consulting

I decided to go ahead and get the 3.06GHz. Was looking at RAM and a 1GB PC2700 DDR 333MHz chip was over $1000.00 yet I can get 2 512MB ones for a little over $400.00.

Whats the difference other than using up 2 slots vs 1?

I aggree completely. A week ago I built a new system with a 2.6P4 and a "Granite Bay" GB-8INXP from Gigabyte. It really is a quality board:

Features dual DDR channels for double the memory speed.
IDE RAID (should you want it)
Onboard sound etc.

I really recommend it, its a little more costly than your average boards, but the real problem is getting hold of one.

After a week I finally found 1 in Toronto (I'm in the UK).

I am in the middle of building a P4 2.53 533mhz on the Asus P4PE Deluxe board. was the cheapest. Haven't turned it on yet but from what I read, it is going to be delightful. If I didn't go with this one, I was going for a comparable Intel board because I have always had good luck with them. Imagine, building a new computer just to play GTA III....... Oh well, I can't wait!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back