Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard Question : Auto shutoff ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponster

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2004
FR
I'm just building my new computer and have hit a snag.

I've inserted the CPU (AMD64 3200), installed a Zalman CPU fan and put the lot into the case (Antec 350watt)

The problam is that when I switch on the power supply the LED on the board lights up, but when I switch on the machine, the power supply dies after about 1 second. I can hear the hard drive turning and see the CPU fan spinning during this second, but then everything stops.

I've plugged everything out (hard drive/CD ROM) and the memory is fine.

The contact is fine between the fan and the processor.

It looks as though the motherboard (ASUS) is telling the power to switch off but I have no idea as to why?

Any help here?

What kind of video card you using?

What kind of RAM are you using?

What did you set the BIOS to?

You might be using too much power.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

ATO RAdeon 9800 Pro

I get the same thing with or woithout the card inserted

Kingston PC3200 DDR

I haven't seen the bios yet. Remember that I'm switching this on for it's first time. It doesn't stay alive long enough to see a bios screen.

ponster
Instant shut off is usually one of the following:

1) poor thermal contact between the heatsink and CPU core (incl poor application of paste or fil protector not removed)
2) CPU fan connected to the wrong fan header (must be the CPU header pins)
3) Motherboard brass stand off mounting posts fitted in the wrong place (usually just one fitted in the wrong position and shorting the motherboard to ground)
4) Bad periferal (hard drive, CDrom or other addon card)
5) front panel wires incorrectly fitted to headers
6) reset switch stuck in
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I have an Asus motherboard and it did auto shutoff like that when I played with overclocking the cpu and tweaking the memory speeds. When I pushed it too far, it would auto shutoff when booting up. I remember reading something about a protection feature that caused this. I was able to overclock the AMD 64 3200 to 3400 speeds but not beyond. And I was able to clock my memory at the 2-3-2-6 speeds as advertised, but no faster. So you might want to check the memory and cpu settings in your BIOS to make sure they are set correctly.

hi all i have exactly the same porblem than ponster with aproximatively the same config (asus MB, athlon 64)

i ve tested with motherboard outside of the case to avoid short circuit, unplugged absolutely evrything except video card and memory but i still encounter the problem (switch off after half a second)

but i use a 300 watts case could it be the reason of the problem?

in fact it was working fine in my seller shop, with a 350 watts one

ps : sorry if my english is not correct ;o)

It could be. It might be the PSU is under powered or it's failing. If you can get your hands on another one try it.

he he he i have just solved my problem, and shame on me i should tell to myself RTFM ! on new MB u have to plug two power connector , the old large one and a new 4 pin one, both must be connected :eek:) sure that ponster had the same problem

hahahhahah i will soon enjoy my new athlon 64 :D

Yes I did.

I was too embarrassed to reply though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back