Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkchop27

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
US
Recently I got a new motherboard. After installing it and everything, I powered it up. All the fans started, but nothing appeared on the screen. A friend told me this was a CMOS issue. So I reset it, nothing. I reset it again, nothing. I tried one more time, and now when I hit the power button the fans don’t even start up, it just sits there, dead. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your problem, but it sounds like you friend the poor girl...

Don't worry too much about it; you're not the only one (I've done it myself). You can probably cash in on the warranty and get a new or at least talk to the guy who sold it to you and see if you can get an exchange through him.

Let me know how it turns out, ok?

Jason

did you set all the jumpers on the board correctly ??

yeah, i checked all the jumpers. Is there any other posibility? I really don't want to believe I fried it… although the thought crossed my mind.

Here's a list of things to check and try:-

1. Check you've mounted the motherboard correctly, i.e. no remaining pillar supports for the old board when there aren't any matching holes in the new one.

2. Disconnect all peripherals from the board, i.e. drives etc., and disconnect their relevant 5v/12v power connectors.

3. Pull out all add-in cards from the motherboard slots baring the video card.

4. Carefully re-check the motherboard connections to the front panel, RESET, POWER-ON, etc., etc., and if in doubt disconnect and leave only the POWER-ON.

5. I assume you put a nice thin smear of heatsink compound on the CPU before you clipped the heatsink/fan in place?

6. Clear CMOS once more, and try powering it up.

7. If you can get back to the point where the fans start whirring away, but still no signal to the monitor, try removing the memory (with PC switched off), and see if powering up again produces a series of bleeps from the speaker.

8. If in 7 above, there are no bleeps from the speaker, you could have a dead CPU.

9. PSU rating? 300W? 400W? If lower than that, then you might have blown it if it fails to come on at all now.

Ok, keep us posted on your progress...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

ok, i got everything to turn on, as far as fans spinning, but now it just beeps at me. ?

What's the brand and model of the motherboard?

What is the beeping sounds that you get? Issit just multiple single beeps? There is a pattern in the beeping. Different patterns tell a different problem. Try to recognise the pattern.

The problem can now be anything from faulty RAM to display adapter, provided that all you have connected onto the mobo is the CPU, RAM, display adapter, the power supply as well as the power on switch.

Oh yes, please provide details of the following:

Motherboard brand and model, maybe even a version number.

Memory brand, size and if possible also the model.

PSU rating. ATX or AT?

CPU brand and model.

video display adapter brand and model.

Maybe we can provide more help if you provide the details...

its ok folks! nothing to see here. Beeping problem was ram... (boy do i feel stupid). The problem with nothing turning on.... im still not too sure. it just kinda started. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back