Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard Problem? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingyar

Programmer
Nov 3, 2001
US

I have a PCChips M700MR Socket 370 mobo with a 1.3 Celeron. Everything had been working smooth until recently I started having modem isuues. While I was troubleshooting for my modem my Hard drive died and would give a boot error when trying to boot. I tried to reinstall the OS on my HDD but was unsucessful. Got a new HDD and tried installing an OS on it but after going half way through formatting it would give me a blue screen. I tested to see if my memory was bad by going through the install process with each one of my memory sticks at a time but I still got the blue screen.

Does anyone knows if this is a motherboard issue or could it be my power supply?

Any help would be appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I have a 350W power supply.

That's a difficult one. It's very unlikely indeed to be your power supply, I would certainly look at your mobo as the source of your problems.

Firstly, load all the failsafe options on your mobo. Get a copy of PCCheck (what I use for diags) and use it to thorougly test your system memory and HDD.

You may also want to run a BIOS update, if you can to solve any known compatibility issues.

If you still cannot identify your problem after these steps, you should either post back or consider getting a new mobo....

Good Luck

Tels

"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."

Thanks a lot. I'll try that and see how it goes. In case it doesn't work I'm already doing research on what new mobo-cpu combo to get.

Try to disable the on board modem (amr/cnr) and see if that helps. If it does try a pci modem.

This one is interesting but doesn't sound like a motherboard problem. If everything was working fine then the problem may be software. did you download anything (virus) immediately B4 your modem problems started/

Jesus is still LORD

I don't think I loaded anything right before the modem problems. The weird thing is that after I had problems with my HDD I installed a second HDD that I wasn't using on my system and then tried to upgrade the current OS(Win 98) on that HDD to Win XP. As a result my other HDD also got messed up since I started getting problems such as blue screens, page faults, etc when going through the installation. I gave that other HDD to a friend and he was able to install Win XP on it.

Any more suggestions are always appreciated.
Thanks

I had a similar problem with an 810lmr from PC-Chips although I don't know what caused it. My HD would not allow an OS to go on it until I had completely removed all data and partitions and started from scratch. I think I had to use the delete everything option in Partition Magic. It may be a partition issue??

As a motherboard brand, PCCHIPS does not have a good reputation for quality. This is one motherboard brand I recommend avoiding. If you are starting out with a new HD then it must be something else. My suspicion is the motherboard. It can be tough to decide if it is RAM or motherboard. If the motherboard is bad, it may make the RAM appear to be faulty.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back