Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard possible messed up?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Here is my problem:

about a week ago i shipped my computer home from college... i had just built this machine about 4 weeks ago and it was running awesome... when i shipped it i made sure i was very careful with it, and had it packed in the box and styrafoam that the case came with... when i got the stuff yesterday i pulled it out and pluged it all in... everything looked fine, but for some reason it wasnt showing up on the monitor... the monitor was showing a self test screen and told me to check the connection to the comp... i made sure that the monitor was working by connecting it to another machine, and it worked fine.. so then i thought that it was possible my video card... so then i pulled an old video card out of another machine and pluged it in to my new machine... that didnt work... so then i plugged my new video card into the older machine and it worked fine.. so now i know its not my video card so what is it? the only thing i can think of is that the mother board got cracked during shipping or something, but i hope thats not the case and was hoping that someone could give me some tips before i go buy a new mother board.. thanks

One other thing... i had my motherboard speakers unpluged cause i hate hearing the beeps on start up, but now i just pluged them back in and turn the machine on... it just beeps every couple of secs, and i also noticed that my LED reads C1... thanks again

ohh.. here is what i'm running:

8KTA3 Pro motherboard
1.7 amd atholon xp
geforce 2 mx200 32mb
512 sdram
and windows xp (the only mistake i made when building this comp)

Reseat boards, reseat memory, reseat processor. Check ribbon cables are seated. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

ok.. thanks.. i'll try that... any one else got any ideas incase this doesnt work?

PC,s aren't designed to be moved because of all the plugin components moving often results in something or other not working.
Don't despare just unplugging an reseating everything works every time. Happy Xmas Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Well... I pulled basicaly everything out and just started over...all the cards came out... i unhooked everything from the mother board (except my volcano cause i'm to lazy and i hate those stupid clips)... i reseated all the power cords and ribbon cables... then put everything back in... turned the comp back on.. and no go.. i still get the beep and the LED reading C1... anyother peices of advice? it would really be appreciated.. thanks..

One thing I noticed is that you plugged your monitor to another computer and it worked fine, but try connecting your computer to another monitor and see what happens. Just to see if anything else happens. You never know.

Try Clearing the CMOS. If that doesn't work then unplug the CPU fan from the board and plug it into another auxilury fan plug on board. The C1 code usaully means it is running through the ram check. A last resort is to bench the board outside the case to make sure no shorting has occured: take the motherboard out put an insulation piece on the bottom of it (cardboard would do) and plug in just the Power Supply, Fan, Video,monitor, ram and keyboard And turn it on.

There is a certain type of shipment after Sept. 11 (weeks later), that at random, there have been reports where people have been getting trouble when shipping. The reason for that is because shipment facilities on arrival now do special seek scans if it's to believe of a suspicious box. They usually do these at airports. Anyhow, what it does is that the ray's from their new scan devices directly go throw the metallic walls into the memory dimm sockets, and burns the magnetic coverings (what transfers memory from module to mobo), which is why there's no boot and beeping. I could be wrong in your case, but check out last month's PC world magazine.

Good Luck
Lord of the Rings is awesome - Sauron had a P4!

Mike

Interesting... I hadnt heard about that.. maybe thats the problem.. maybe i'll look into it a little more... the only thing is you said it would explain why i'm not beeping or booting... the thing is i am getting beeps, just not booting... and all the drives seem to be running... anyways.. thanks.. and if there are any other ideas out there, please send them my way.. thanks again

I think he meant it beeps but doesn't boot. If it's not the video card it's more than likely the memory. This type of scan would explain the problem. If you can borrow some ram (same speed, type) from another machine (or buy some, RAM is cheap) and replace yours with it that'd rule out the memory as well.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back