Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

motherboard pinout woes.... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteusx

Programmer
Mar 21, 2005
US
i'm helping a friend put in a new motherboard, and we're having trouble figuring out a pinout to his case's front audio ports (a mic port and a headphone port).

the motherboard is a PCChips P4 M960G. below is a diagram of the pins on the motherboard, along with the header from the mobo's user guide:
audio_pinout.gif

Pins 5 and 6 came jumpered together, as did pins 9 and 10. I'm not sure exactly why though, or if we even need to leave them like that.

Now, we have 5 single-pin connectors from the case's audio ports, labeled as follows:
MIC_GND
MIC_DATA
EAR_R
EAR_GND
EAR_L

We managed to figure out all the other connections (usb, power, etc), but for the life of me, I just cannot figure this one out...Any help anyone could offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

What does the pinout for "Audio1 Pinout" show? Audio2 looks like line level out (especially pin #4 - that's voltage out to power an audio board). I'd ignore Audio2. The case connections would go to "low level" connections. Does this mobo have on-board audio, or a seperate audio card? I'd worry (if on-board), a wrong connection could kill the mobo!

It's onboard audio, and AUDIO2 is labeled as the "front panel audio header". There's no AUDIO1 on the board.

It looks like the front panel connectors are not compatible with the mobo. There is no standard configuration for front ports. On the back of the computer, are there jacks for the earphone and microphone?

The jumpers on pins [red]5[/red] and [red]6[/red], and [green]9[/green] and [green]10[/green], route the audio to/from the back mounted sockets. On many computer cases which sport front audio connectors, the speaker wires from the front panel have a built-in link so that you get a choice of plugging your speakers into the rear or front sockets when the wires are connected up. Yours doesn't appear to offer this choice, so decide what you want now, back or front! My guess would be your front wire [red]EAR_R[/red] goes to pin [red]5[/red], and [green]EAR_L[/green] goes to pin [green]9[/green].

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back