Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

motherboard or power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azninvasion

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
hey, i just put in a new motherboard, processor and memory. when i go to power up it will run for like 20 seconds and then shut down. all the fans will run and the green light on the motherboard is on. i took out the processor and powered up and it will stay on. this is wierd. please help

This is generally a symptom of a power supply problem but it can also reflect overheating or slow fan.
Might help if you told us what kind of processor and some description of the P/S like ratings and processor approvals.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

One thing to check is to make sure your motherboard can handle the processor speed.

Can you check your bios to see if everything is okay there. By the sound of it you cant though.

Life is like an array of randoms, ya never know what ya gonna get!!!

Are you trying to boot from you original installation of Windows?
After such a radical upgrade it is best that you formal and clean install your operating system, this is because your new motherboard is trying to boot on your old platform drivers.
I agree, much more hardware information is required.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

hey guys thanks for the feedback. umm i gots a asus a7n8x-x motherboard and an amd athlon xp 2100 thoroughbred processor and 512mb ddr-400 pc3200 ram and my powersupply is 330 watts. i took out my new processor and put in my old one which was a amd athlon 1.1ghz and changed the jumpers and cleared the cmos so the old processor would work, it worked fine for a while. i formatted my harddrive and reinstalled windows xp and then installed the mobo drivers and everything else. it was working fine and then it suddenly would reboot out of nowwhere. hasnt stayed on since. it would log in and then it would reboot after 10-15minutes. however i had a 12,000 volt powersurge due to a fallen power pole by my house, but my old parts worked fine after the surge. could my powersupply be messed up enough to not power the faster processor?

Wow...I had to doublecheck your name because I thought it was a post I made a few months ago. Obviously I went through the same thing. Same board, AMD 2400+, ddr333, then 400...Absolutely EVERYthing brand friggen new. It powered up the first time and allowed me time to format a 120g hd but then, (where my fun began) it would power-up for about 30secs max, if I try to powerup immediately it would shut down faster...swapped cpu, mem, hd, ps...OMG whatta nightmare!
ANYwho...nuff of that. I would put all my money on the m/b being just plain defective. Turned out to be a bad heat sensor for the processor. If yours has the same problem, it won't be long before it won't boot at all.
Get a replacement! It sux...believe me I know! I did and my new board is awesome. :)
Good luck!

hey, thanks debbieeees, you were correct. i put in a new cpu fan and it lasted and i got beeps for boot up, but the cpu fan i tested it with only handles processors up to 1800 and i have a 2100, but i have like 5 other fans in my comp. should i just wait and get a fan that can support the processor?

Your XP2.1+ is a Palomino core and is one of the hottest CPU's AMD made, from what I can remember this CPU produces around 79watts of heat, to put this into context the very latest XP2.8/3.0/3.2
generate a similar amount of heat , just as a side note, the original Athlon 1.4 was also a bunsen burner of a CPU with a similar heat output to the XP2.1+.and XP3.0+
Basically all of these CPU's are the last in there respective core ranges so have pushed that particular core to it's thermal limit.
Last Thunderbird core: Athlon 1.4
" Palomino " : XP2.1+
Possibly the last Barton? : XP3.2+

All reaching there design limit and producing very large amounts of heat.
So to put this in practical terms, owners of an old Athlon 1.4 require the same sort of cooling as those with XP3.2+'s and your XP2.1+ falls into that super hot bracket.
Get yourself a copper based or all copper cooer with a high CFM fan rated at 2.7 or above.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I had good luck with a Speeze Falcon Rock Cooler with a 8cm Fan. It worked fine with a XP2400+.

Make sure you are not overclocking.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

hey, i have problems again...well that old fan seemed to be working fine but now i login into windows and about 10-15 minutes later it just hangs up. i cant ctrl-alt-del or anything. is the fan not good enough?

More info on what you enabled and diabled on your motherboard would be helpful. Sounds more like a conflict than a fan or a power supply. What memory are you using in your board. This board is really picky with its brands.

One odd thing to check if the cpu is faulting or the fans seemed to speed up excessively is to make sure you fan and heat sink are centered correctly.
We had a bunch of compaqs that were acting up and it was a problem with the fan and heat sink not being centered and thus creating stress on the surface of the chip itself.

GSFDigital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back