Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard M921LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehboobm

Technical User
Sep 21, 2003
US
Hello - This will be interesting.
Due to lot of dust, I was vaccuming my CPU from inside. And I assume may be a jumper(S) is inhalled cuz of it. Since then Only problem I am going through is THERE IS NO SOUND. I have tried everything even Disabled Onboard sound and installed new PCI sound card. But did not work. It shows that sound is being playing But could not hear anything from speaker. Speaker are OK and tested and also Device Manager is OK too.

I am seeking any document or Photograph of default jumper setting AROUND SOUND SOCKET (inside of motherboard). That jumpers setting are located between first PCI slot and sound socket.

Can anyone help ??

Perhaps you accidently unplugged the power cord to the speakers when you plugged in the vacuum?

start from scratch. reverify speakers working. Try connecting speakers to cdrom drv and playing audio cd. While sounds stupid, most probs with speakers caused by speaker connected to wrong port. Even experienced techs make that mistake. If speakers fine, would take close look at OS. While possible, doubt both snd cards inop. Check volume settings (ie. mute, snd turned down in vol cntrl). Check of doc for sys ( shows audio not jumper controlled.

Hello - thank you for your input.

I took my time and followed your instructions, but same thing -- NO Sound.

I am wondering, I disabled onboard sound and installed new PCI sound card. Now, at that stage should it play sound?? But it does not.

You didn't say whether you had snd from speakers when connected to cdrom drive. Anyway, try this, go to ctrl panel/sounds. Check tabs. Make sure nothing greyed out in audio tab. Make sure vol ctrl set correct and not muted. Under sounds, click on installed windows sound (will have icon to left of it) and click play. If snd plays, prob with app not windows. If snd settings good, reboot to safe mode (F8 during boot). Go to dvc mgr. Check to see if anything disabled and find out why. Remove all snd drivers. Don't remove codecs if any. Shut down. Remove new sound card. Reboot to BIOS and reenable onboard sound. Reboot to windows. Sound card should be detected and installed. Recheck audio in ctrl panel and try to play windows snd file. Beyond this, probs are OS and card specific. Also, while unlikely both bad, you might try to find DOS based util that you can boot to on a floppy that can test to see sound is making it to speakers (takes windows out of the equation) Good ones are expensive and be cheaper to pay repair place to do check for you. Some shareware/freeware exist but no guarentee will work with your HW. Search inet for DOS based diagnostics. Would do this before resorting to rebuild of OS.

Hi mcall - Sorry that I missed some of your points.

I played an Audio CD and I connect my speakers to CD-ROM, it gave me a message "The MCI (CD Audio) service or the CD-ROM driver is not responding. CD player cannot start. [next para] Check the 'Sound and Multimedia' control panel ....... to check the hardware ... "

I know that CD-Rom is good, Cuz I do installed programs. I tried to search how to install/find/download MCI stuff or other codecs in my PC But so far, no luck yet.

So sorry to mention, during trouble-shooting, I did REMOVEd all of my codecs .... :-(( Am I in trouble ??? I thank you in advance for your help.

BTW - I am running Windows 2000 Pro. with P4 1.5 MHz /256/40GB.

Yes and no. I'll give some steps to try but you may need to consider reinstall of os. Start by checking install package for onboard sound. If drivers installed using executable try following - 1)Look in Add/Remove Prog and see if anything there directly related to sound card and remove it. 2)reboot. 3)During OS load, if asks for location of sound drivers, click cancel until at desktop. 4) Run install executable. 5) Reboot. If still no sound check out to try to get codecs back. Which codecs vary depending on snd card and installed programs. After this, try to reinstall OS. Note: if you decide to reinstall but believe HW is bad, I would do following:
1. Boot to floppy with OS that can read partition (win98se boot disk for fat16/fat32. for NTFS will need to get disk that loads shell that allows access to NTFS. Start at 2. Rename "Program Files", "Documents and Settings" and windows folders to something else like prog.old
3. Follow install directions to clean install of OS. When asked if want to install to existing windows or separate, enter original windows folder name
4. During install don't worry about any drivers except MB and sound card.
5. Once complete - if sound still not there then have bad HW.
6. To restore back to original OS load; reboot with floppy. del or ren the newly created folders mentioned in step 2. Ren the directories in step 2 back to what they were and reboot.

Hello mcall - I understood all your steps, will go through and will let you know soon. Thank you again for your kind initiatives.

Hi mcall - Phe Bottom line is "Still, No sound."

Here what I have done. I removed & Uninstall my PCI sound card and cleaned registry for any sound Card entry. From the web-site your sent, I Re-installed all sound codecs. Then Onboard sound was enabled in BIOS. It said new HW found, drivers were were installed for it. All were OK upto that point. Movies and MP3 were playing but without sound. I tested my speaker by connecting directly to CD-ROM and it was OK. Also I checked any Mute or volume control settings ... But no sound.

Then I backup my important DATA and format the C partition. And re-install Windows 2000. I focused on MB and Sound. All installed OK, But still it was no sound. Also, Speakers were OK when connected with CD-ROM with Audio CD.

Then again, I format the Partition, And install Windows XP pro. and gone through same. But no sound. All HWs are OK, PC's performances is OK. Movies and MP3 plays, but there is no sound. I CHECKED ANY MUTE OR VOLUME CONTROL again and again ... but There is no sound.

I assume my HW is defected?? What you say??

Have to agree. You went further than I would have shot sound after 2k install. Did you disable onboard snd and install new snd card?

Not Yet, I assume it won't work, but I will try to disable onboard sound and to install new PCI sound ... in a day or two.
I appreciate and thank you for your time and help.

I took my time and tried a couple of times. I disabled my onboard sound and installed PCI sound card. I checked all "Mute" and "volumes" business. But No luck even then. New PCI card works OK in other computer.

The only thing left is your original concern about a jumper. Check to see jumper at JP1 still set correctly (pin 1-2 for normal ops). Since you've proved other hw good, MB only possible left. Before trashing MB, suggest direct contact to PcChips to see if they can provide info on test jumpers - from 921L doc "Note: Those jumpers of mainboard not appearing in this illustration are for testing only." Do not recommend random jumpering as can cause damage to MB but if they can't/won't help, may be only option other than replacement of MB.

gotit! had the same problem and was searching for over a week for the solution ... i've got it and it worked with me!
some sw installation can corrupt regitry entries. below the mci parts from a working system with w2k.
check the keys manually or copy into .reg file and register it
best would be to copy it from a identical (working) installation
please feedback

-----------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MCI]
"AVIVideo"="mciavi.drv"
"CDAudio"="mcicda.drv"
"Sequencer"="mciseq.drv"
"WaveAudio"="mciwave.drv"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MCI Extensions]
"avi"="avivideo"
"cda"="CDAudio"
"Mid"="Sequencer"
"rmi"="Sequencer"
"Wav"="WaveAudio"
"aif"="MPEGVideo"
"aifc"="MPEGVideo"
"aiff"="MPEGVideo"
"au"="MPEGVideo"
"dat"="MPEGVideo"
"m1v"="MPEGVideo"
"mov"="MPEGVideo"
"mp2"="MPEGVideo"
"mpa"="MPEGVideo"
"mpe"="MPEGVideo"
"mpeg"="MPEGVideo"
"mpg"="MPEGVideo"
"qt"="MPEGVideo"
"snd"="MPEGVideo"
"midi"="Sequencer"
"asf"="MPEGVideo"
"asx"="MPEGVideo"
"ivf"="MPEGVideo"
"m3u"="MPEGVideo"
"mp2v"="MPEGVideo"
"mp3"="MPEGVideo"
"mpv2"="MPEGVideo"
"wax"="MPEGVideo"
"wm"="MPEGVideo"
"wma"="MPEGVideo"
"wmv"="MPEGVideo"
"wvx"="MPEGVideo"
"wmp"="MPEGVideo2"
"wmx"="MPEGVideo"
"wpl"="MPEGVideo"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MCI32]
"MPEGVideo"="mciqtz32.dll"
"AVIVideo"="mciavi32.dll"
"CDAudio"="mcicda.dll"
"Sequencer"="mciseq.dll"
"WaveAudio"="mciwave.dll"

Hi Jimboo - Thank you for your input. I checked and re-checked my registry. All items are registered within MCI part (as you mentioned) , BUT ARE NOT IN THE ORDER THAT YOU MENTIONED. Only 2 were MPEGVideo2 and I remove the last "2".

I restarted and did not see any difference. However, I noticed on thing, that this time once I start SOUND RECORDER, and try to recored, the Bar does not move and WAVE-line does not change. And once I STOP recording and try to close the application, it says the wave is not saved and asked me save YES-NO-CANCEL. ALSO, If I open any WAVE file, and PLAY -- It seems to me Playing but nothing is comming from speakers.

For the benefit for other, I would like to update that I installed a new motherboard and now it is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back