Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard intermitant beep code: question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kooda

MIS
Dec 18, 2001
US
Motherboard specs:
DFI AK76SN AMD 761 chipset Award Bios DDR RAM

I was going to bed..and all of a sudden..my computer started beeping. It's a 1 second beep, with 2 seconds in between beeps.

I assumed it was a memory problem..so I tried a different memory slot, but that didn't help.
I now have everything taken out of my PC. Only the memory is in the computer...and the beeping persists.

So, has my motherboard's memory slots gone bad? Or, some other piece on the board? Since it happened while I was doing nothing..I'm thinking something just "broke".

any suggestions?
thanks in advance

Something just broke. It sounds like it is cycling through memory. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I have a Amptron Motherboard Model K7841XLM. I purchased the system at a computer show. all it needed was a hard drive. I installed a hard drive and memory but it will not power up. Any ideas?
thanks

Fans, lights, noise, smoke, smell? Take it down to minimum and see if there are any changes. All jumpers off the board except the power block and power on jumper. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

cccjohn...you might have wanted to post this as a new thread...but anyways..

When you say, "it will not power up"..I'm assuming that when you push the power button..nothing happens. Correct?

I've had this happen once. It turned out to be a screw head on the case touching the underside of the motheboard...end result: shorting out. So..just make sure all the case screws line up with the holes in the board.

Kooda,
The beeping might be from the cpu high temperature
limit being reached due to a low setting or a failing
cpu fan.

mainegeek - yeah I checked the fans..all are running great. I have never overclocked the board. Plus..even after sitting overnight..the beeping persists.

thanks!

oh..and I can't even get to bios. The beeping starts immediately when started.

Have you tried re-seating your video card? Sometimes
the "tail end" of cards can pop out slightly.

Is the BIOS pluggable? If so try reseating it. And try reseating the processor and memory.
Anything that keeps the address or data away from the processor or BIOS will give you memory cycling, but with the beep, the addresses from the processor are getting to the board. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

edfair:
pluggable BIOS? So, I can take the bios chip off? I'll try that. I'll try reseating the processor too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back