Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MotherBoard Installation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

adalsmosh

Technical User
Dec 27, 2004
US
Recently I bought a motherboard Winfast K7S (K7S741MG\K7S741GXMG)
Based on SIS 741GX chipset
Support AMD Anthlon XP Socket 462 FSB 333 processor (Supports AMD K7 Duron, Anthlon, Anthlon XP, Supports 266/333FSB)
Support DDR266/333MHS memory
USB 2.0
Sis Graphic on Board
AGP 8X
Lan on Board.

System: Window 98SE, CPU Anthlon 1800+ or CPU Anthlon XP 2100
PC2100 DDR 266 512

Tried both CPU's but I can not get the system to show up the set up menu. The motherboard have power, since the fan for the CPU and the hard drive receive energy. When I power up the computer, nothings shows on the Screen. All cable and connections were verified, no signs of grong connections.Any ideas. Thanks.

adalsmosh
Both CPU's have a 266 front side bus setting so chech on the motherboard for correct jumper setting.
The most common assembly mistake are:

1)You have fitted the heatsink fan unit 180degrees out (the recess in the base of the heatsink must be positioned so it is positioned over the raised cam box on the CPU socket) get this wrong and it could well have been instant overheating and death for both of your processors (heatsink paste is also an absolute MUST!)

2)Clear the cmos (usually simple 3 pins, the jumper needs to be across two of them in the run postion)

3)You have fitted too many brass standoff mounting posts and one or more is shorting the motherboard to earth.

4)Your power supply has failed (yes! the PSU can give the impression of power but may have failed on one of it's rails)

5)You have forgotten to plug in the extra 12Volt power lead (if it has one on the motherboard)

6)Your main power plug, graphics card or memory are not seated correctly (best reseat everything.

7)Power or reset buttons stuck IN? or header wires not in the correct positions.

8)You have got IDE or floppy drive cable orientation wrong (red stripe to pin 1)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

paparazi,
Your last post would make a good FAQ to add to this forum.

Do you not hear bleeps from the MB /Speaker at boot up?

Do the lights on the keyboard flash?

Dont forget, some motherboards, like pc chips and ECS have the cmos set up so that you have to move the jumper before you start out.
Either way, it would be a good idea for you to re-set your bios. Check your manual as they differ, but mostly you remove all power sources from motherboard, then take out round coin battery, then find the jumper closest to the coin battery and move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3, wait a few minutes then put all back the way it was and boot your pc.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Paparazi, checked all your recommendations. Noted nothing out of place. The only thing I have not tried is another CPU. Try with a different power supply and no response from the main board.

Bruce XP, I did noticed that the keyboards light do not flash and I do not heard any bleeps, other than the hard drive sound.

Garebo, I checked the CMOS set up and it was in accordance with the instructions, will try moving out battery and setting up bios.

Tried all PC parts on old computer, like video card etc, and it works on the old computer. Will post results.

adalsmosh
So now just try the bare minimum.

No header wires connected, pull out all addon cards apart from graphics.
Just have CPU with cooler, 1 stick of ram, PSU (main and any auxillary power plugs connected) and video card.
No IDE or floppy cable connected (pull off power to all drives)
Momentarily touch "pwr" power header pins, with a small terminal screw driver.
Any joy?
If not, and your sure nothing is shorting out the motherboard, then likely you have overheated both the CPU's

Can you confirm wether the heatsink has been fitted the wrong way (even for a few seconds)
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I'm having an almost identical problem with the Winfast K7S. I've tried all of the suggested tips. I'm certain that I have not fitted my CPU fan incorrectly and I always use HeatSink paste. I do get a two second beep whern I power up. The lights on my keyboard remain unlit. I've requested support from my vendor (Savastore in the UK) ad will update you if I get anywhere. Please let me know if you solve this problem as it is driving me mad. The documentation I received with the motherborard and PC case was scant. Kind regards. Bob

adalsmosh, if you dont have the motherboard out of the case, i would suggest you also do that. You can hook up the minimum,power supply, cpu\heatsink\fan, 1 stick of ram, etc, as paparazzi has already suggested, but it should be done with the motherboard outside of the case. You may have already done that, im just making sure.

Sounds like either your motherboard is bad or your cpu's are bad.

Maybe you could bring your cpu's into a shop and have them test them for you.

Thanks for tip. I tried your suggestion of removing the motherboard from the case and got exactly the same result. I have now invoked SavaStore's DOA procedure.

Darn, most of the time people here will get our pc working, i hate to see it when we fail.

But sometimes the hardware is just bad,failed,broken, not working, kaput, dead, doa,toast,scrap, no good, gonzo, and fried.

Sorry, I was not around. I was in Brazil taking care of some business. I gave up on the modern board. I bought a antlon 64 3000+ from emachines. Good deal with all the powers already include, 80 gb HD, 512 DDR, DVD+-RW, Monitor, speakers, 8 in 1 media card, 17" monitor and windows XP home for under $500.00. I will take the main board back to the store PC Club so they can verify if the CPU's are working, which I think they are. I really think the main board is not working. Will post results as soon as I can deal with the problem. Thanks a lot to all for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back