Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

motherboard compatibility with 5.0.x 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

trannieguy

Technical User
Mar 17, 2004
US
I would appreciate learning from the group's experience what motherboards work with SCO Open Server 5.0.x, and for sure which ones don't! My interest is in Pentium 4 with either the 875 or 865 chipsets. It's not important to me whether or not the board has on-board video or sound -- so long as they are known to work with 5.0.x.

On-board disk support, IDE or SCSI, is not important since we plan to use an Adaptec 2100 RAID card.

I am currently using 5.0.5 but would upgrade to 5.0.7 if I have to (money, as always is an issue).

Thanks for any help.

Chuck Baker (the trannieguy)

Just been thru this.
If you go with a P4, then is will be absolutely necessary to upgrade to 5.07.

I had major problems with Intel boards, so simply went with an Athlon chip 1.83 on a MSI board.

If I did it again, I would use a gigabyte or Asus. I could not get the onboard NIC to ever work, had a hard time finding the drivers. Just had to install an SMC.

Good Luck.

An additional note on the Intel series.
The floppy/CD would not boot for version 5.05. You have to create a boot floppy with a special signature for it to work.

Intel has decided to enforce an old standard which SCO does not support. I do not know if it has been fixed for 5.07. Maybe some of the other members would know.

I remember something on the SCO web site about P4 support, on the maintance pack 1 or update pack 2 for SCO 5.07.

<snip SCO 5.07 Upadate Pack 2 Installation notes>

Serial ATA is supported by the iir driver only for the Intel RAID
Controller (PCI) card Model SRCS14L. As a rule, motherboards with
built-in Serial ATA controllers are not supported. However, certain
motherboards with Intel chipsets (such as the i865p and i875p) include
support for a legacy mode that presents Serial ATA drives as parallel ATA
(IDE) drives to the operating system. (Such motherboards include a
``Legacy'' or ``P-ATA Secondary'' option in the BIOS.)

I would check the (dreaded) SCO tech database.

HIH

Hi Trannieguy,
Motherboards with Serverwork chipset GC-SL are compatible with SCO 5.0X. Asus may have them with this
chipset. I hope that this will work for you.
Hershey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back