Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

motherboard changed - can't boot 2000 or 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGeezah

Programmer
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I have just upgraded my old P200 Gateway with a new AOpen AK73-1394 and Duron 800. Initially I just swapped over the two primary HDs, and got the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bsod from Windows. A bit of scouting around the net leads me to think I should have expected this to happen, moving from an intel chipset to a VIA KT133.

Anyway. I eventually fixed that by replacing the old board and dropping down to the bare bones MS Dual IDE Controller, putting the new board back in and installing the VIA drivers when Windows successfully booted up. All good? no. I had numerous device conflicts, which I resolved fairly crudely by removing most of the devices from device manager and letting plug and play find them on the new board. This all worked surprisingly well, but now I have an almost unworkable system. It boots up in safe mode every time, but hangs on a normal boot, just after the point I would have had the bsod before. Strangely, not every time, I can get into Windows properly about 1 in 10 attempts, usually after resetting (not restarting) out of Safe mode.

This all makes no sense to me whatsoever, I don't understand why it sometimes boots, as its obviously a driver/HW issue of some description since safe mode works fine.

The next thing I tried was to repair W2K from the CD, but the CD won't get any further than text mode setup, I assume for the same reason Windows gave me the BSOD in the first place, not having a VIA compatible IDE controller. Well, I can't find any mention anywhere of a driver install for doing the F6/S thing, and filesearching.com brings up no mention of a related txtsetup.oem file anywhere. There is also no mention of the need to do this on any AOpen resource online, or the manual which suggests the 2000 install should be fairly straightforward. But it isn't for me.

I have the latest BIOS flash, and all the latest drivers for the chipset from AOpen.

Anyway, out of desperation I formatted a new HD and installed Windows 98 fresh, hoping if that went cleanly, I could upgrade from there up to 2000 and bypass the problem I had getting past text mode setup from the CD. It installed all the way to the final boot quite happily, but now it hangs at *exactly* the same point as 2K does at bootup. Again, Safe Mode is fine. It gets as far as loading msmouse.vxd then dies, whether I load that driver or not.

I have 2 ATA 33 HDs (I've tried diabling UDMA in the BIOS too), a single 32x CD-ROM (secondary master), some OEM modem and a creative soundblaster 128. I've disabled the AC97 audio on the new board in the BIOS, and on the board, but it's not enough.

Any help anyone could give me would "Rock. My. World" At the moment I'm scared to restart my machine in case I have to spend the following day getting it back up again!!

please help me?!?!??!

some hardware is not happy. remove everything except for ram and video, if that works, then add the rest one by one.
if not, replace ram and video and start over...
To pin down the problem you need to start with a bare minimum.

i agree with deskduty, strip the machine bare and re-format the hard drive. also if you can borrow some ram of a friend and test it with that, i find most probolems leads back to memory. it can't hurt.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back