Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboad or PSU problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyksdgo

Technical User
Dec 16, 2002
US
My PC start behaving strangely yesterday.

First it will not power on with the power-on button pressed, but will boot with the reset button.

Once the PC is on, it is not possible turn off. Nothing happen pressing the power-on button. Press the reset button will start reboot. The only way is to cut off the power supply from the back of the PC.

Initialy I thought there could be something wrong with the power-on button at the front of the panel. Swapped the jumper between the reset and poweron on the motherboad. Now power-on button is now working as reset, so it is not the mechanical failure.

I am not sure where to examine next? Could the motherboad has ACPI problem or it could be problem with PSU. Note everything is working fine once the PC is powered on.

Howdy:

Try pressing and holding the power button for 3 - 5 seconds.

Murray

Typically it's eiother a mother board or power supply issue, if you've been poking around in the bios make sure you haven't changed the power options, also with windows xp you can control the aaction taken whent he power button is depressed.

GSFDigital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back